Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Eleanor's 6 Month Doctor Appointment

Alternate title: Eleanor's 6 month appointment and Charlie helped. Not really.

Other alternate title: Eleanor's 6 month appointment where Charlie ran around like a crazy person and still weaseled a lollipop out of the nurse. 

Moral of the visit: he's lucky he's cute. 

I feel fortunate our appointment was scheduled for today of all days because we would have had to go in anyways. Eleanor had broken out in hives the past two days and I wasn't really sure why. They went away quickly, minus a tiny rash near her mouth on her bum.

Eleanor broke out in hives a couple of months ago when I tried to supplement with a different formula. The doctor concluded it was most likely a milk protein allergy (especially given the reflux she got from my breast milk until I gave up dairy) and said we could try again at the six month mark and see if she had grown out of it. The hypoallergenic formula is $$$ and can be hard to find.

A couple of weeks ago I tried a different formula and she seemed to do fine. No hives. Since she wasn't keen on nursing anymore and I was only giving her what I was able to pump, I decided to wean. After all, we'd be able to use any formula now!

Fast forward to this week and I tried out a new baby food I made for her (papaya and banana). And I picked up some Similac Organic and fed that to her. An hour later her entire back was covered in hives. I figured it was the papaya so I didn't feed her anymore.

Then today she had butternut squash, applesauce and mixed grain cereal and broke out in hives 3 bites in. She's been having squash since last week so I was very confused. I also wasn't sure if it was the formula.

The pediatrician thought it was probably a combo - that sometimes a milk protein sensitivity can ramp up sensitivity to certain foods. She wasn't surprised about the papaya and said if even the tiniest bit of skin made it into the food, it can cause a reaction. Fabulous. That one papaya I bought made about a thousand little frozen cubes of baby food and it all needs to be tossed.

We now have a referral to a pediatric allergist. I wouldn't bother with it since the allergic reactions are not severe and go away quickly. However, a positive test result on a milk protein allergy will help me get the pricey formula covered by our insurance. That seems worth the investment in time. It will also give me some peace of mind on feeding her new things.

She told me - and I thought this was interesting - if the allergic reaction ever includes vomiting (not just spitting up, but projectile) to give her benadryl immediately and call them. Otherwise I can just give benadryl if the hives take a while to clear up or seem to be bothering her.

I was also reminded that I need to take Eleanor in for a follow up hearing test. Since I have a hearing loss the hospital audiologist recommended after both children were born going in for a follow up around 6 months. I don't think I ever bothered with Charlie. I have to admit, given how easily startled Eleanor is by Charlie yelling or the dogs barking, it's not feeling like a really high priority to me. I'm thinking I'll be good to get that done by October.

Stats -

Weight: 17 lbs, 6 oz (75th)
Height: 27 3/8 inches (90th)
Head: 17 1/2 inches (90th) - (NOGGIN)

She got the same four shots and oral vaccine as the last two appointments. However the nurse looked all of about 15 years old and Eleanor bled in both legs and screamed and cried. It was sad. The nurse kept telling her not to tense up her legs and finally I explained that she is six months old and has no idea how to do that. Ugh.

There was so much info on my appointment sheet that the timing for our next appointment wasn't included! I'm not sure if it's at 9 months or a year or what.  I guess I'll figure that out later.

1 comment:

Kirsti said...

We had a 9 month check-up. No shots, but a blood test to check for anemia. Just FYI. I hope you get to the bottom of the allergy problems.