Saturday, May 11, 2013

Four Months of Eleanor

I am so late in posting this. I am going to be writing the 5 month update in 2 weeks! I am just so exhausted by the time they are both in bed, I can barely string together a coherent sentence. I watch some TV, maybe have a glass of wine (or 3) and relish in the one time of day when nothing is required of me. And then ZONK. I'm out.

But back to the task at hand. Eleanor, in all her sweetness, turning 4 months old. She finally sleeps. I don't know why or how, but like to attribute it to my mom's last visit. Nana to the rescue, spending her hard earned spring break helping me with my children and letting me finally get some rest. I think at the 8 or 9 week mark of absolutely no sleep at all I must have been sounding pretty dire and scary.

My mom told me when she was here that she was going to have a talk with Eleanor about the whole sleeping situation. That every 2 to 3 hours at night was no longer cool. And what do you know, a week after Nana leaves, Eleanor starts sleeping more. It was a 5 or 6 hour stretch, then 7 or 8 and then finally, 10. 11. Even a few nights of 12. Pinch me.

It's still unpredictable. She may sleep through or she may get up at 4. But the sweet girl goes to bed around 6:30 or 7, so who am I to complain? If things go well, I have her in bed and then can focus some solid attention on Charlie and reading bedtime books with him.

This is also the month she chose to wait until the one hour I left her alone with a sitter to go to Charlie's school Parent Night to roll over. Yeah. I spend so much freakin' time with this baby and she STILL rolls over for the first time without me. I've seen her do it once since then, but she hates being on her tummy so bad that she is not really motivated to roll on to it again.

She is doing all the other cute little 4 month old things she is supposed to do. She grasps things, she chews on her hands, she has found her feet, she drools, she smiles, she laughs. It is adorable and precious. I want to eat her up.

The doctor told me it is possible, but not likely, that she would get a tooth at this age. I then talked to various friends who all had at least one kid breaking a tooth out during their 4th or 5th month. So we'll see. There's teething activity going on, that's all I'm going to say.

She loves her baths, especially getting her hair washed. I do a salon quality scalp massage with it, so who can blame her? She also loves having her hair brushed. From fussy because she's cold to cooing pure happiness - all because of the hairbrush.

She is so long that a lot of clothes for her age don't fit. I'm buying 6 months in some stuff and 9 in others. She's wearing 70's from Hanna! I'm having a blast shopping for her. She already has so many more clothes than Charlie did at this age. And several more pairs of shoes.

Now that she is sleeping and I can think straight and think past just surviving, the past few weeks have been about falling in love with her. The time moves too quickly. I am already trying to remember what it was like to hold her when she was super tiny and new. You forget, too quickly. But I know around the corner is finding out more about her personality, so I try and focus on what we have to look forward to. I just wish time would slow down a little.


No comments: