Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Three Months of Eleanor

At the risk of jinxing everything and never sleeping again, I say this: we have turned a corner. Starting at 11 weeks, right after my mom came to visit, Eleanor started sleeping a little bit longer at night. At first there were some 5 hour stretches. Then 6 and a couple of 7's. Now we are in the 7 to 8 hour range, followed by a 3 to 4 hour sleep.

She goes to bed around 7:30 or 8, gets up anywhere between 2 and 4, eats, burps and chills for an hour and then goes back down until 7:30 or 8:30. It is tiring to do every night, but Brad helps out when he can, on the weekends and when work isn't too demanding.

We learned an important sleep lesson with Eleanor: she doesn't really like to be soothed or fussed with when it's time to sleep. We had been killing ourselves trying to coax her into a nice deep sleep before putting her down, but I guess that was overstimulating to her.

I discovered this tidbit out of frustration: it was the middle of the night when she was still getting up 2 to 3 times a night and she would just not settle so I could put her down. I was exhausted and about to go haywire, so I put her down wide awake and left the room. Came back 5 minutes later and she was fast asleep. So I tried it the next few times, all with the same result. Let it be known: girlfriend needs her "me" time.

Her nap schedule is still all over the place. I have a friend with a 14 month old and I'm using her rule: at least one nap at home per day. The others we just have to be on the go or Charlie and I would never get to do anything. Her longest nap is typically in the afternoon, usually 2 to 3 hours. The morning nap is shorter and may be two naps if we are home. I'm looking forward to being on more of a nap schedule so I can plan things for Charlie, but so far I'm letting her make the call on when she sleeps.

She is still a very long baby but starting to chunk up a little bit. At least, chunk up for a baby of ours.
We went for a lactation consultant appointment and she had gained another 8 ounces in a week, so she's doing well. I need to do another post on the whole milk situation because that has been an adventure.

Her reflux persists but there's only screaming when we are late on giving her medicine. Some days the pain seems to be worse than others. Is this diet related? I'm not sure. I gave up dairy for the third time and saw no real improvement in her congestion and eczema. Well, I had some soy products and those seemed to really irritate her.

Unrelated: have you ever had vegan cheese? It is the nastiest food ever.

I suppose I could go to extremes and cut casein and whey and read labels like a fiend to ensure I never consumed a drop of dairy anything.  Maybe that would make a difference. But to be honest, my already iffy milk supply dips when I cut out dairy and her congestion and eczema are mild. The reflux has responded well to the zantac.

She spits up a ton, but now that she's gaining weight that's just a laundry problem. When she no longer seems in pain, we'll cut the zantac. When she quits spitting up I'll start wearing nicer clothes.

Eleanor is wearing 3 to 6 month clothes and I can't wait for it to warm up so we can try out more of her springtime wardrobe. Like her brother, a lot of clothes that are long enough are baggy. Where's a baby tailor when you need one? I'm starting to shop more for her and it's a blast. For some reason, though, I still gravitate towards the little boy clothes. Force of habit I suppose. Anyone have a little boy they want me to shop for?

I bought her first pair of little size 1 shoes this month when my mom was in town. Some little cap toe rose gold flats. We went to dinner and had some wine and the next thing I know, I'm spending too much on baby shoes! She also has some little white Keds handed down from Charlie. So we are all tricked out on our feet. Next stop: headbands!

Right before 3 months, she started grasping things, mostly my hair. I've pulled out all the little baby toys from the attic that I tucked away when Charlie outgrew them. She's slowly starting to grab at them too.

Her cooing has gotten a little louder and more varied. She does a high pitched noise occasionally. She's just a soft spoken little thing! She smiles all the time, though, and sometimes looks like she's laughing, but no noise comes out. Obviously, I failed to get a picture of such a face. She stares at my phone or camera and stops smiling when I try to catch it.

Now that I'm not so tired I can barely see, I'm really loving my time with her. She is such a sweet baby and since she's feeling better, she's a happy baby too. She loves to take a bath and have little conversations. I'm looking forward to seeing what little personality is hiding in there!

No comments: