Saturday, November 3, 2012

Halloween-y

We have entered to fun years of Halloween! Charlie "gets it" and spent the entire month of October excited about Halloween night. Brad cut his work trip short so he could be back in time to trick or treat with us. I haven't been this excited about Halloween since I was a kid. 

Charlie's been telling me since, oh, August, that he wanted to be Batman, though there was a week there where he switched to Spiderman. I bought most of his costume on Etsy, which is where mothers who don't sew can go to buy things from mothers who do. The cape is actually reversible, with Spiderman on the other side, in case he changed his mind. And then I just added a black t-shirt and sweatpants from Target. He loved his costume. 

On Halloween morning there was a parade of kids in costumes at preschool before they went back to their classrooms for their Halloween parties. All the kids looked so cute. Charlie looked like a deer in headlights, but Spiderman was coaxing him along. His classroom has this group of little boys that are all good friends - and big fans of the superheros.
One thing I hadn't accounted for was how to keep Charlie busy between preschool pick up and our neighborhood Halloween potluck. Fortunately, we received a special package of fun Halloween things from my Aunt that kept Charlie busy for quite a while.

We decorated one of the pumpkins with the Mr. Potato Head skeleton kit:
And played a lot with these lasers that strap on your fingers and light up. These were a huge hit.
The rest of the day I implemented a plan of forced physical labor. We swept off the front walk and back deck, which were covered with piles of leaves and pine tags that dropped during the hurricane. Charlie loves doing anything outside and it was a beautiful, chilly fall day after a few days of clouds from Sandy.

Finally it was time to get in costume! We headed across the street to our neighbor's driveway for our potluck dinner with our neighbors. I made the macaroni and cheese from the Williams-Sonoma Comfort Food cookbook and oh. my. gosh. That is a yummy recipe.

Getting the kids to eat was a challenge, per usual. Charlie was so excited when Daddy got home that any hopes of eating real food were dashed. Let's just get this sugar rush started.

Charlie and his good friend Owen were bouncing off the walls! Owen dressed as Darth Vader. At one point we couldn't find them and they had walked right into our other neighbors' house and started playing in their basement play room. Make yourselves at home boys!
Each year trick or treating in our neighborhood gets better. There have always been several block parties, but more and more families with young kids have moved in and this year it was swarming with munchkins in costumes. I saw some people even drove over and parked to trick our treat in our area.

Charlie trick or treated a bunch with his friend Superman. His mom was wearing a Wonder Woman t-shirt that I am very jealous of. I have always been a huge Wonder Woman fan. Next year, that's my costume!
I ended up leaving a bowl of candy on the front porch for the trick or treaters so I could walk around with Brad, Charlie and our friends. It's always so much fun seeing everyone. It's also usually fun to try out all the fun fall-themed cocktails different people bring. Oh well, next year!

Some people really went all out with their decorations this year. I feel like a bit of a Halloween slacker. I'll have to put some more effort into it when Charlie gets older and doesn't want me trick or treating with him anymore.
It was so much fun watching his excitement this year. He ran from house to house and was so excited to say trick or treat and collect candy in his bucket. He told just about everyone all about his costume. He started digging into his candy, but we managed to save most of it for him to have a piece of each night after dinner. Chocolate is an excellent tool to bribe some good behavior out of him.

At the end of the night, though, we had a pretty upset kid. He didn't want the fun to end. And he definitely didn't want to go to bed! The next morning he told me he was going trick or treat again that night. When he saw me pulling down the Halloween decorations, he burst into tears and told me to stop! Now that's a kid who loves Halloween.

No comments: