Sunday, October 7, 2012

Where did September go?

If the rest of my pregnancy goes by as quickly as September did, this baby is going to be here in what feels like 5 minutes. Brad got home from London a month ago and I'm not sure where the time has gone.

It has been so busy, yet I feel like I can't get anything done. Sure does make me miss Charlie's nap, which always helped me feel like I could stay on top of things. Instead, laundry and dishes pile up until his bed time, at which point this pregnant lady is very tired from a day full of 3 year old shenanigans.

I am behind on thank you notes, need to get started on Christmas shopping and have all of our files to organize. I'm not sure how to make all that happen! All I want to do after Charlie's bed time is watch Vampire Diaries on my ipad. It's my new ugly addiction. I blame my hormones. I wasn't expecting much (well, besides the flock of very hot men that star), but it's actually a really good show! I'm on season 3 and there has been no shark jumping and the plot changes always surprise me. Love love love.

Our shipment of stuff from London arrived this past week and exploded all over the house. I try and keep our Stuff from getting too overwhelming, but it has felt out of control since all those boxes arrived. Charlie is, of course, thrilled to have all of his toys back. He dumped them all over the playroom floor, which now looks like a war zone.

All the clothes that were packed in boxes smelled like... shipping container? I guess? That took about 15 loads of laundry. I'm finally getting the last of it sorted and put away. I have yet to tackle the play room. I'm scared.

Charlie really loves his preschool class and teachers this year. He goes four mornings a week. They send home the neatest projects they have been working on and Charlie is bursting with stories when he gets in the car. He stays after school one day a week to eat lunch and take a soccer class.

We also have him signed up for Saturday morning soccer class at SCOR. Brad usually takes him, though we had a birthday party right afterwards yesterday and I got to watch. It is mass chaos. You almost have to use quote signs and call it "soccer" because it is a very loose interpretation!

Since Charlie also has a very bad habit of just jumping in swimming pools and scaring us to death, we have started him in some indoor swimming lessons. He started off loving it, but as they have worked on new skills, has started hating it and cries some. I'm told this is normal. We had to take this week off because of his stitches and tomorrow when we go, I'm not even going to tell him where we are going! I do take him for frozen yogurt afterwards - a win for us all.

I think we are going to finally move Charlie to his big boy room tonight. My father-in-law very kindly offered to refinish the beds I found at Hope Thrift store and they are bringing them from Williamsburg today! I still need a bedside table and dresser for his room, but the beds should be ready to go! I'm excited to hang up all the stuff we bought in London on the walls and get him settled in there. Then I can focus on the nursery!

We finally got rid of binky last week, which has led to some pretty interrupted sleep around here. I realize we are way late to lose the binky, but this kid did have to endure an international move this year, so we let him keep it since it was so comforting for him. After having to hear about the Dream Lite 10 times a day, we offered to exchange binky for the giraffe Dream Lite that Charlie was dying for. When it arrived in the mail, Charlie tossed his last binky in the trash.

Unfortunately, a few days later the Dream Lite lost its appeal and Charlie wanted to renegotiate for the binky. He even offered to give the Dream Lite to the baby. We also have a brand new fear of the dark. Some nights we have a wake up around 2 or 3am. Other nights it takes a while for Charlie to go to sleep. And he's regularly waking up an hour earlier than usual. I hope all this will even out in another week or two. I'm glad we're getting it over with before the baby comes.

Speaking of baby, we have been the recipient of many generous hand-me-downs from friends, including clothes and baby gear and toys. I think I'm going to wait until December and just see what we still need at that point, but it won't be much! I've also been able to borrow some awesome maternity clothes from my friends, which has been awesome! 12 weeks to go and I am really trying not to buy much. I can only justify it if it will be good post-partum too.

I got a barely used City Mini stroller on Craig's List to replace our MacLaren, which looks so awful after heavy use in London. We've used it a couple of times with Charlie and love it so far - what a great stroller! I'm going to get a running board on the back for Charlie to ride on after the baby comes. I would have gotten a double stroller if he would ride in it for more than 10 minutes. It just didn't make sense for us.

We are getting very excited for Halloween around here. Charlie wants to be Batman and I've found some cute things for his costume on Etsy. I got a basic black t-shirt and pants at Target as the base. I hope we have good weather this year for trick or treating because Charlie is so excited! Our neighborhood really makes a big deal of Halloween - it's a great time get out and see everyone.

Brad took two weeks off work when he got back from London and has been working from home since. Tomorrow he starts back up traveling and will be going to St. Louis each week. It's going to be a hard adjustment for all of us, especially Charlie who is all about Daddy and has gotten very used to having him around. It's going to be a long week. :(

Brad doesn't get back until late Friday night since they have some team event in Dallas on Friday until the evening. Why they have to schedule them like that and cut into their employees' hard-earned weekends, I'm not sure. But Charlie will basically say good-bye to Daddy at bed time tonight and not see him again until next Saturday when he wakes up.

We're pretty well settled now back into our house and have lots of fun things planned for the fall. We're getting reacquainted with our friends and planning play dates and dinners, going to birthday parties, etc. I started a new book club since my last one fizzled after a few members moved away. We had our first dinner/meeting at everyone's favorite Vietnamese place, Mekong and it was good times. It's a nice group that will be fun to meet up with each month.

So that's what's going on with us. Things are good and we can't believe we'll be a family of 4 in just 12 weeks. That concept is really kind of amazing to me since 12 weeks doesn't sound very long. I'm starting to dream at night about holding her already. :)

Well, time to tackle the playroom. Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

No comments: