Monday, July 23, 2012

She-Spooner

We had our 16 week ultrasound appointment this morning, and to our shock and amazement (again) we found out we're having a baby girl!! Everything looked really good on the scan. We got to see all the little body parts right down to her little heart valve fluttering. She once again had one hand behind her head, chillaxin' in the womb.

The doctor paused at the beginning of the scan (just to torture me that extra bit) and explained that some couples like for him to write down what they are having in an envelope and that we could do that and go to a nice dinner and open it up. Umm, no tell me now. And hurry up. There are people in this world with great self control. I'm not one of them! I had to know ASAP! He looked a little surprised. It made me miss Dr. D back home. She knows me so much better than that!

So here's another true story: When I first found out I was pregnant I went for a scan to confirm it and brought Charlie with me, thinking he would have no idea what was going on. Stupid mommy. He looked up from a riveting Fireman Sam episode on my ipad and asked what was on the screen. In my excitement (and not really thinking) I went ahead and told him it was a baby.

When we got home we looked at the pictures and I asked if he thought the baby was a boy or a girl.  Without missing a beat he said very matter-of-factly that it was a girl. He has stuck with that ever since. Like, it's not even up for discussion. It's a girl just as I told you the last 20 times mommy! I was actually kind of concerned it would be hard to convince him otherwise if it was a boy. I'm glad I don't have to. He is so stubborn!

I think he must get his intuitiveness from my mom, who had this funny feeling in April (before either of us knew I was pregnant) that the next family member would be a girl. She has felt very strongly ever since then that I was carrying a girl. So strongly, she bought this little girl her first pair of shoes last week! On sale naturally. Baby's first sale shoes! First of many.

After we got done with our appointment I walked with Brad for a little while back towards his office. My father-in-law has been in town to go to the British Open with Brad and he was very kindly watching Charlie so we could have some time together. It was actually a beautiful day in London and we just walked in a state of shock and awe, absorbing it. I am still absorbing it.

I went into the Gap after he went into work to find some sale maternity stuff and get Charlie some underwear. It occurred to me I could TOTALLY go look at the newborn girl stuff! I had to remind myself. I perused all the adorable pink and decided to buy a little London onesie and pink polka dot pants, just to remind me of today. It's kind of cheesy and not terribly girly, but we'll have a good laugh and memories when she wears it. She. I'm still getting used to that.
I came home afterwards and showed Charlie the photos and told him excitedly it is a girl and he's going to have a sister.... and he looked at me rather bored-like and said I know. This was not news to Charlie. None of it matters because he still can't SEE the baby, which is his biggest complaint. Mine too! It's going by fast, though. She'll be here before we know it!

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Very exciting! Beware the shopping, Brad!

Amy L said...

I love Charlie's reaction. Having one of each is fantastic - so happy for you!

suzie said...

yay! how exciting! enjoy the pink - it is so fun to shop for little girls. dangerously fun...

Kirsti said...

I will say that the pink is fun, but EVERYONE seems to buy you pink. When I clothes shop for Kinley, I specifically look for other colors, because it seems like all of her clothes are pink. She is definitely fun to shop for, though!

aichiba said...

That is wonderful news! Congratulations to you guys. Charlie is going to make a terrific big brother.

Katie Eaton Photography said...

Sooooo exciting for a baby girl!!! Congrats!!!

The Balog Family said...

Kara - I haven't blogged all summer hence haven't been on anyone else's blog either so I am just learning of your terrific news! Congrats on the new addition and a girl at that!!! So exciting! I wish you were here...I'd gladly give you ALL my girl stuff! Enjoy the prego and
tell Brad congrats too!!!