Monday, April 16, 2012

Easter Break

Today was the last day of Easter break and Charlie starts his summer term of nursery tomorrow. The past 2.5 weeks has been a little surprisingly fun. I thought maybe I'd be going a little crazy by the end with no mommy breaks lined up, but we've been so busy I haven't really noticed. Having almost consistently beautiful weather hasn't hurt. 

So what have we been doing? Well, we have taken an art class and a cooking class. We've gone to lots of parks and done a lot of playing. We've gone to buy new shoes and got a cute new haircut. We've seen lots of animals and ridden a couple of zip lines. We've had picnics and play dates.
(at cooking class)
We've also potty trained. Which truly deserves its own post, if for no other reason than to allow my vast readership to opt out of a post about my son's poops. I will just say that Charlie is going to school tomorrow in underwear. And several changes of clothes. 

I think one of the highlights of Easter break was this neat farm we visited last week - Belmont Children's farm. I posted a ton of photos on Facebook and a few here. It was a little tough to get to, but they had so many animals to check out - and LOTS of little newborns! Itty bitty lambs and chickens and pigs. Oh my!
Charlie loved the bunnies, which are brought into a special room so the kids can pet them. We also bought some feed and were able to go around and feed some the animals. The alpacas and the goats were the most enthusiastic - along with a random deer that was living with the goats. 
We also took a tractor ride around the farm, but Charlie was in completely exhausted meltdown mode by then so it wasn't as enjoyable as it could be.  I can't even think about it. Ugh. He reluctantly agreed to stand by the tractor for a picture, though. 
Since we were on the go most of the two the weeks, I also really loved our little day together buying shoes and going to lunch. We rode the bus to Harrods and sat on the top level. Charlie picked out some Pumas that he said made him fast. He then went on to show off his shoes to everyone he met. He even pointed out to the lady sitting next to us at lunch that there were TWO new shoes! Yes, we sprung for both. 

We spent a long time in the toy section checking out all the persons and the remote control helicopters. Then we had pizza sitting on barstools in the pizzeria and got Charlie some ice cream in the parlor. You could basically live in Harrods and never come out. They have everything you could ever want. It's more a matter of finding it because that place is crazy-huge. It could stand to have its own tour book. 
I think Charlie is excited to get back to school, though. We talked about it a bunch today and he brought up several of his little friends' names. 

In addition to nursery, Charlie is taking tennis and soccer classes in the afternoons a couple of days a week. They are just little 30 minute classes because really, how much can you teach a 3 year old about any sport? 

He had his first tennis class today and it was hilarious. Three instructors for nine kids and it was still like herding cats. They mostly did little drills, running around cones and stuff. Charlie had a blast and thought he was super hot stuff when they let him use the little racquet. The classes are cheap and he's 3, so I just want him to have fun and get worn out. 

As for me, I'm hoping to get back to working out while Charlie is in school after a 2 week break. I have discovered pilates reformers classes and I am hooked. What an amazing workout. I wish it wasn't so expensive, I'd go all the time. 

I also bought a groupon for these classes that use the vibration plate machine. I'm not too familiar with this machine - I've just seen them in the gym. It was a good deal for 5 classes, so worth a try. Hopefully it will be a good workout too. Anyone out there seen/tried them?

Brad has been working crazy hours (I know, shocking) and will be for another week or so. We are just two weeks away from our vacation - we're going to Portugal! A few days in Lisbon and then the rest at the beach on the Southern coast. Hoping for some relaxation and good food. 

Well, that's what's been going on with us! Time to get to sleep - school tomorrow! 

No comments: