Friday, March 30, 2012

Easter Break Begins




These photos have nothing to do with Easter Break; I just thought they were cute. Brad took Charlie in a paddle boat in Hyde Park last Sunday. This fulfilled a lifelong dream for Charlie, who asks non-stop to ride in a paddle boat any time he sees them.

Charlie's school term ended today for a two week break before the summer term begins. There's usually a one week break in the middle of each term and then a longer break between terms. Lots of people leave and go on vacation (holiday) during the breaks.

I was going to take Charlie to lunch and shopping for new shoes after school got out today, but one of the moms suggested we take the kids to Holland Park for a picnic. The weather has been warm and sunny lately, so we've all been trying to make the most of it before it cools off again. It was so much fun! I wish I had my camera with me as Holland Park is so beautiful. I'm sure we'll go again soon.

We laid out a blanket and ate and then watched the kids playing the playground. They had a blast. Charlie gets very excited about picnics. I recently ordered a giant picnic blanket that I'm waiting to be delivered so we can become picnicking fools. 

With Charlie out of school for a couple of weeks, I've been making plans for us to do some fun things and go visit some new places. I'm really excited about the cooking class we're taking next week! It's at this children's club in Kensington. Charlie looooves to pretend to cook and help me in the kitchen. They told me at nursery school that he dresses up in the chef's hat and apron at least 3 times a week. I think he'll get a big kick out of it. 

We're also planning to take a little trip for a few days over Easter weekend since Brad gets two days off as holidays. We're going to the Cotswolds, which I think is London's version of the Hamptons, except not on the beach. Lots of cute villages and farms. It's where all the sheep are!

It will be fun to get away and check out some new areas of England. It should be beautiful this time of year. We are renting a car and Brad is driving. On the opposite side of the road. Yeah. I'll let you know how that goes. 

Our number one priority over Easter Break, though, is potty training. We're going to be doing a lot of this:

I had my meeting with Charlie's "key person" at his nursery school and we agreed he is ready to make the leap on potty training and wearing the big boy underwear. We'll do it at home consistently over the break and then when he goes back to school, I'll be sending lots of underwear and extra outfits! 

British parents potty train so much earlier here - before they are even 2, including the boys. Charlie is way behind, but I think he'll pick it up pretty quickly at this point. After all, there are exciting tiny toilets at school.

The part I'm kind of dreading is always having to find a potty when we're out and about in London. I've never had to worry about that before. I will always need to travel with extra clothes since I'm sure we'll have accidents due to being on the bus or tube or just not having any luck finding an open bathroom. I hope it doesn't become too upsetting for him. 

So that's what's going on with us! Big things happening over Easter Break!

No comments: