Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pain in the Asthma

Poor Charlie. He got his dad's crappy lungs. But he also got his beautiful eyes, so I guess you can't win them all.

Since I went and jinxed myself a couple of weeks ago at Charlie's 2 1/2 year check up and told the pediatrician that it's just amazing, but Charlie hasn't been sick in close to a year (!!) Charlie is of course now sick. From allergies to bronchitis in no time at all.

He had a runny nose and a little cough all weekend. He went to preschool on Monday and they called me to pick him up early. He was wheezing a bit and it just kept getting worse all day. I gave him a breathing treatment and we headed in to the doctor late in the day.

Where we waited for almost AN HOUR. I was pretty ticked. Charlie was having more and more trouble breathing and finally I lost it with the girl at the check in desk when I no longer wanted to hear that they had no idea when he'd be called back but they are working as fast as they can. In my opinion, if you don't have time to see that many people, don't make so many dang appointments.

I told her my son was having trouble breathing and we either needed to be seen right then or I was taking him home for another breathing treatment. She snapped at me that I could have told her that earlier. A nurse heard the exchange and got us back there and Charlie a breathing treatment immediately.

For some reason Charlie is scared of the doctor right now and freaks out about taking any medicine or having to do a breathing treatment. Scared of things he didn't used to be scared of and that don't hurt. I can't figure it out. He screamed and cried the entire appointment. It. was. exhausting.

Because our doctor couldn't determine through all the screaming whether Charlie had any fluid in his lungs, we had to go to the hospital and get an x-ray. So that was time consuming and by this point we were both hungry and Charlie was exhausted. Brad came up to the hospital and met us, which helped a ton. He brought snacks and had more energy for carrying Charlie than I did. Charlie was asleep in my lap when he got there.

Charlie did great for the x-ray, didn't cry at all. It was a bit hard to keep him standing still and the guy doing the x-ray seemed to either think 2 year olds are more capable of understanding instructions or that Charlie was older than 2. It was almost funny - he was genuinely baffled why Charlie wouldn't stand in exactly the position he wanted him to and stay still.

The doctor called later and there was no fluid in the lungs and it looked like all asthma stuff and some bronchitis. We are doing breathing treatments every 4 hours and go back tomorrow so Charlie can be evaluated again.

Now that he's breathing better and I'm not so terrified, I don't think I'll jump all over the receptionist again. Still, she should watch herself because I can go from zero to Mama Bear in no time. Obviously.

I think the thing that shocked me the most yesterday was Charlie turning down food because he was too tired. Those were his exact words - Too Tired Mommy. Charlie is never one to turn down food. At least, not the food we were offering to make up for his pain and suffering.

He went to bed right when we got back and slept fine last night. He's been wheezing some today and seemed to have a fever this morning, but it subsided by lunch time and we even played outside for a little while this afternoon in between monsoons.

I'm relieved all the hospital stuff happened before Brad left town today. Just having another person there last night made it feel so much better than doing it alone. So yeah, Brad has left town now and gets to miss all this breathing treatment fun! But crazy details around that is for another post!

No comments: