Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Our 9th (gulp) Anniversary!


Nine years ago Brad and I got married. It feels like I was just writing this post about our eighth anniversary! Time is whipping by. Kind of like our wedding day did, which felt about 10 minutes (don't get me wrong - exhausting minutes) long. We haven't been back to the Melrose Hotel in a while, but maybe we can hit up the Library Bar the next time we're in Dallas together.

The day after our wedding, we left for 10 days in Hawaii, which are some of the happiest memories in my life. So when I remember our wedding, I also remember our honeymoon. Brad planned out all these fun activities for each day, like horseback riding and helicopter tours, and we had long, romantic dinners and stayed at the most beautiful hotels. Hawaii is just everything you expect it to be. It's stunningly beautiful. 

The picture above, obviously, is from Hawaii. Because why post a recent photo when there are ones available where we look so young and well rested??
I'm more appreciative of Brad then ever these days because I love having him to enjoy Charlie with. He is the other person who is as obsessed with every little thing that Charlie does (well, besides you Mom - ha!) and we spend quite a bit of time discussing how awesome Charlie is. We are that stereotypical couple that finally gets a night off to go out to dinner, and then spends the entire time talking about their kid. 

After 9 years of marriage, I can say it's comforting, really, to be around someone who has known me for so long and been through so many of the same things. He knows all the little cracks and crevices of my personality. The nitty gritty. And we can laugh about things from years ago as easily as something from last week. 

I also have to give him props because he is such a good dad to Charlie. It is easy to love him more each time I see him with Charlie because he just loves him so much. He is adamant about doing what is best for him and protecting him. It makes my heart swell when I hear him talk about Charlie. Our adjustment period to being parents took a long time because Brad had to be away so much for work, but we are in a very good place now and finally feel like we have this parenting thing figured out. Well, mostly. :)

And my last bit of bragging, I promise - how supportive Brad was when I had my melanoma scare this summer and how supportive he continues to be when I get scared about the future or self conscious about this big ol' scar on my face. Even with a lot of stressful things going on with work for him, he was very calm and reassuring and helpful so I could get through both surgeries and only need to worry about getting better. I felt very blessed.

So anyways, as we like to joke, we've made it 9 years and not killed each other. Yet. I'd say that's worth celebrating! Happy Anniversary Brad!

No comments: