Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Earthquake... a Drugstore Perspective

If you've been living under a rock and missed all subsequent news coverage, we had an earthquake here in Virginia today. It was a 5.8 and the epicenter was about 30 miles from here, between Richmond and Charlottesville. It was felt all the way up the East Coast. In fact, the first person I heard from after the quake was my sister Meredith, who felt it in Brooklyn!

I was in CVS at the time, since Tuesday afternoons this summer is when I've had my weekly sitter. I was lost in my thoughts, about to walk out of the store when I noticed some really loud rattling.

My first thought was that they were doing some repairs on the roof or something. There was a small crowd near the registers and I heard one of the employees say something about how this kind of thing doesn't happen too often. I stopped and asked what was happening. An earthquake not being one of the answers I was anticipating.

I walked outside and got in my car and could feel it shaking back and forth. Then I did the next logical thing in such a situation and updated my Facebook status.

I also texted my babysitter just to make sure everything was OK and she said Charlie slept right through it and the poodles didn't even seem to notice! I'm a little surprised Ringo didn't panic since he got a little worked up during that thunderstorm last Sunday.

When I got home later she told me she was a little worried our TV that we have bolted on the wall was going to fall because it was shaking so bad. I've decided after hearing so many other experiences from today that I must have been in an exceptionally well built CVS because it really wasn't that bad. Nothing fell off the shelves or anything.

Nothing seemed amiss at home except a few pictures on the walls that needed straightening. All on the second floor. Apparently there was an aftershock of 4.2 around 8pm but I didn't notice. I was cuddled up with Charlie watching the Goodnight Show on Sprout. In fact, I think it was the part where the Pajanimals sing that song about their mom that always makes me want to cry. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

So that's the story of the earthquake in these parts. I'm not aware of anyone getting hurt or anything other than minor damage. I have a former coworker who lives about 5 miles from the epicenter and they were having aftershocks pretty frequently there. His dog was freaking. I have a feeling it's going to be a long night over there.

So now that we've wrapped up this odd natural disaster, a hurricane is supposedly headed this way over the weekend. Irene is coming to visit. Hopefully to just bring a lot of rain. :)

No comments: