Saturday, July 23, 2011

What's Up

We've had a lot going on lately. Or maybe it's the same amount we always do, it just feels like so much more effort in this awful heat. It's been unusually hot for Richmond - over 100 for a few days - and very humid. I'm quickly running out of ways to entertain Charlie that don't require going outside.

This week I even took him to his first movie. It was Winnie the Pooh. It's just a little over an hour long and he made it through almost all of it. The theater speakers were very loud, so I thought the previews might scare him, but they didn't! When we left it wasn't even that he was upset or misbehaving - he was just hungry. So I took him to Cici's for lunch where he packed in a bunch of pizza.

My other attempt to keep him entertained, at least before it was over 100 degrees, was a baby pool I got for $10 at Wal-Mart. It was my mother-in-law Sue's suggestion and it was brilliant. Charlie loves getting in and out. He prefers to swim in the buff. Since he is the only one to swim in the pool, I let him. And it's a good thing - we've had a couple, ahem, accidents.

Other than that, I've just been beating our old indoor play haunts into the ground with repeated visits: the Children's Museum (both locations), indoor malls, bounce houses and music classes. Charlie gets bored more quickly each time we go. I'm seriously worried about keeping him busy all week this week.

I'm going to go ahead and say this and just be a big Scrooge. I hate summer. I absolutely hate it. The heat, the humidity, the mosquitoes - bleck. I'm sure if I was in the middle of a break from school I'd be singing a different tune. But I'm not. I grew up in Austin and have suffered through enough hot days to last a lifetime. I'd take an inconvenient snow storm over this heat wave any day of the week.

I feel much better. The heat wave has obviously made me whiny. Or whinier.

This week we found out a pipe in Charlie's bathroom has been dripping into the kitchen ceiling for quite some time. Our handyman had to rip a huge section of the kitchen ceiling and replace it. Charlie finds him absolutely fascinating. He drives a truck, owns a ladder and uses power tools - all the things that make someone cool in this world to Charlie.

Charlie started a new habit this week: he tries to get his pajamas and diaper off between the time he wakes up and I come in his room to get him. He just stands there, all casual like, buck naked in his crib. I don't know what, if anything, this says about potty training, but I think I'll order a little seat just in case. I'm going to get one to put on the regular toilet. He seems to want to go the way we do.

I started seeing a chiropractor for my back this week. I got another set of x-rays and found out my left leg is shorter than my right, which puts my hips at an angle and that's why my back hurts. After the doctor told me I was just thinking, is there anything NOT wrong with me lately?? Geez. At any rate, I'm already feeling better. I have a new pillow to sleep on, vitamins to take, exercises to do at home, water to drink and, of course, adjustments. Fingers crossed!!

We're taking it pretty easy this weekend. We had a birthday party today for one of Charlie's little friends at Romp n' Roll. It really wore him out and the timing of the party meant he skipped his nap. Early bed time for him! Wooohooo! Now if it would just rain and save our yard we reseeded in the fall, life will be complete!

Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

Lakshmy said...

Love these pictures of Charlie! He just keeps getting cuter and cuter. Hope you Spooners are having a relaxing weekend. Kash has a little wading pool, too. In this heat, it may be a good idea to get one for us grownups. Maybe take a page out of Charlie's book and sit around in it nude. At least we wouldn't have to worry about the, ahem, accidents so we could even share!

suzie said...

i LOVE the pic of charlie in a tie! that is just darling!