Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday Supper

If you want to make your house smell homey and wonderful, roast a chicken on a Sunday afternoon. Specifically, roast a chicken using this recipe. I think it's pretty arrogant of any chef to refer to their own recipe as the 'perfect' version of anything, but in this case, Ina is right. Follow the instructions and it turns out perfectly.

My only beef is the cooking time instructions - roast until the juices run clear. I can never really figure that out, and I lose a lot of juiciness in the chicken checking to see if it's done. Since a chicken needs to reach 165 degrees to be safe to eat, I roast until it's 155 degrees, pull it out, cover it in foil and 10 minutes later it's at 165. If you wait until it's 165 degrees to pull it out, it will be dry.

I always throw extra onions on the bottom of the pan and they are heavenly. Throw them over a salad with some blue cheese and balsamic vinaigrette and you're in business. I skip the gravy - it doesn't need it. I also skip the carrots and fennel since Brad won't eat them and roast some butternut squash instead.

I'm enjoying some quiet time in the house while Charlie and Brad nap. It's rainy outside, so feels very cozy around here. Wish it was a bit chillier, I'd turn on the fire.

Yesterday was beautiful. I got my hair cut and colored in the morning and so Brad and Charlie were left to their own devices. They went to Panera for breakfast and Brad got Charlie the cinnamon crunch bagel. Charlie kept referring to it as a 'cookie' and asking for MOOOO (more).

Afterwards they walked around the outdoor mall, where a nice couple let Charlie take the leash and walk their terrier. In the sporting goods store, Charlie had a great time trying on the lacrosse helmets and checking out the baseball bats. He was absolutely exhausted when he got home and took a super long nap.

Last night Brad and I had a babysitter, who Charlie was NOT happy to see, and went out to dinner at Flemings. It was packed, so we sat at the bar and had a great time. We ordered some of the most incredible oysters I think I've ever had - they were so fresh, from Chincoteague Island, Virginia. We went there once for a weekend, to celebrate my friend Lakshmy's birthday and see the wild horses. Naturally we rehashed the trip over dinner.

Not a whole bunch else going on. Brad's had to work a bunch this weekend. I managed to get my weeks confused and miss Charlie's 2 year well visit this week, so I have to reschedule. I hope it doesn't take too long to get in. Our office quit doing reminder calls, which is basically the only way I remember to be anywhere for anything.

Yeah, so that's basically what's going on with us over here. The chicken smells so good by now I'm about to lose my mind! How will I make it another hour???

No comments: