Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Have a Seat

Actually don't, because I haven't quite figured out how to get all of these seats screwed back on their bases yet. Wouldn't want you to tip over. That was such a nice warning to give my in-laws right before Charlie's birthday dinner: try not to move around too much in your seat - things are really iffy in here!

I recovered these seats myself; my first time tackling such a project. Here is what they looked like before:
I ordered the (ridiculously priced) striped fabric when I had the curtains for the dining and living rooms made. My clueless designer at Williams & Sherill had me order about twice as much as I needed, so please, come be as messy as you like at my house - I can recover these chairs again no problem! Probably twice!

We received this dining room set as a wedding gift from Brad's dad and stepmom about 8 1/2 years ago, so the cream fabric that came with it was looking very tired. Exhausted actually. It's nice to have something fun and colorful on the chairs now, but it was a bit more painful getting the project done than I thought it would be.

For one thing, when I removed the seats from the frames, I didn't keep track of which seat belongs to which frame. This is making it quite tricky to screw them back on because holes for the screws are all in different places by just a millimeter or so. That's why most of the seats haven't been screwed back in - I just haven't been in the mood for trial-and-error type frustration lately.

The first chair I covered, I forgot about the holes entirely and just covered them on up with fabric! Oops. I dealt with that problem Texas-style. Not with duct tape (though that has me thinking...), but a pocket knife to cut out little holes for the screws to go through.

I got myself a high powered staple gun at the hardware store, but even with that, I have to really press down to get the staples to go into the wood. I had to hammer in a bunch of the staples that were sticking out too much. Others I just left, thinking, hey! next time I want to recover these, taking the old fabric off will be a snap! Quality workmanship at its finest. And a lot of hand cramps from the staple gun.

After I got the fabric stapled on all the seats, I remembered that I had actually intended to place the stripes vertically instead of horizontally, just to mix it up a bit. I am now trying to forget that I remembered this because there is just no way I'm redoing these until they are covered in stains from many fun dinner parties.

Overall, despite the frustrations, it wasn't a horrible project. I'd do it again, especially if I found a cute thrift store chair on the cheap. I played with the corners quite a bit to get them pleated the way I wanted, and for the most part they turned out ok. I will never pay this much for fabric again, though. I kind of got suckered into that one.

Anyways, that's my latest half-finished project. I think I may cutefy our mailbox next. It is also looking exhausted.

1 comment:

Soña said...

They look great Kara! I've recovered a bench seat before and have to say it was also harder than it seemed it should be. Someday I might do our dining chairs...right after I finish knitting that come-home-from-the- hospital baby blanket I'm knitting for my 19 month old....