Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sick Puppy

Poor Ringo is really sick and has to stay at the vet for a few days. He started vomiting Sunday night and has been really lethargic so this morning I took him in. He has a really high fever and was drooling a lot and has abdominal pain. The vet thinks he has pancreatitis.

When they did x-rays they didn't see anything foreign in his digestive track, which didn't surprise me because Ringo doesn't ever really eat non-food. But his poor intestines are all filled with gas and indicate he's in a lot of pain. They're going to give him an IV with fluids, pain meds and anti-nausea medicine.

They'll take more x-rays in the morning and make sure the gas is leaving his system. If it's not than something else is probably wrong. Hopefully, though, things will look improved and then he should be able to come home on Friday or Saturday.

I'm sitting here feeling so guilty. Pre-baby Kara would have had Ringo in the vet's office by Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning at the latest. Instead, I just haven't been paying close attention and he's been in all this pain. Poor Bobo. He has such a distracted, deadbeat mother.

I'm not sure if I should go visit him in the vet's office because I don't want to get him excited that he's coming home and then have to leave him again. He will be drugged up, too, and hopefully sleep a lot until Friday. At the same time, I know the vet's office scares him and I want to go comfort him. I need to give this some more thought.

Anyways, that's what's going on here today.

3 comments:

Kirsti said...

I can feel your pain in that dilemma! One of our dogs (my 1st "baby) had to have a cancerous anal gland removed. When we went to pick him up, there was still a lot of drainage from the wound. I decided I didn't want a night of bleeding all over our carpet, so we left him at the vet's for the night. I felt so tortured all night, because he was so excited to see us, even though he was still all drugged, and then we just left him there. He also hates the vet's office. I was heartbroken all night. I hope you figure out the right thing - I would be torn as well! Hope poor Bobo feels better soon.

Megan said...

Poor Ringo! He is in our prayers KK. I hope he starts to feel better soon! We love you guys. Elvis gives Bobo his love too!

Doggy Dish said...

Oh, I hope Bobo feels better soon!I have read many blogs from passionate animal lovers, but this post about your DOG is one of the best!