Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Schedule Changes

I've been trying to figure out what our days are going to look like next week after my "last day."

That phrase is in quotes because I'm now going to be technically working after the 31st. They haven't hired a replacement for me yet so I've agreed to work part time, from home, when I can squeeze it in, so they have a little extra help. It is temporary until they hire.

I'm not even going to tell you how many hours a week I'm going to attempt to do this with no child care. It would be your final confirmation that I'm insane. And I like to keep people guessing.

I'm not going to lie, I'm apprehensive about it. I was hoping for a reprieve from trying to be Wonder Woman all the time, yet I've managed to end up in another crazy situation. I'd be an idiot to turn it down, though. When someone offers to not only cater to your needs, but pay you for it, you don't say no.

And it is only temporary. That's what I keep reminding myself. If it ends up being longer term or too stressful or both then it will be decision time again. Because that's what I've been missing in my life the past 2 years - major decisions all piled up on top of each other.

Anyways, I've been looking at all these different options of things to do during the day and I can definitely see how easy it would be to get over scheduled. There is so much to do! Story hours, gym classes, swimming lessons, Mother's Morning Out, Stroller Strides, play groups. And that's just the scheduled stuff.... that he's old enough for.

Charlie's got a lot of energy, so I want to have plenty to keep him busy. On the flip side, I don't want to be so busy I can't even run to Target if we need to. Or meet up with some friends. Or just hang out at home because it's pouring rain and we're tired. Something tells me these days are going to go by a lot faster then I think.

I got out the calendar and tried to figure out when we would fit different things in. It got so complicated that I chucked the calendar on the kitchen table and there it sits. Perhaps procrastination will make our decisions for us.

Exercising more regularly is high on the priority list so I'm definitely going to give Stroller Strides a try. In fact, I've already emailed them about a try out class. I'm kind of excited about it! My friend Karen loves it and has met some really nice moms in her classes. My main concern is that Charlie will get restless during the class. He's probably going to want to get out of his stroller and do each station with me. Baby resistance bands anyone?

Mother's Morning Out is also high on the priority list as it will be one of just a few breaks I will get during the week. I was kind of concerned we'd be too late to get in anywhere, but one church near us starts late - in October - so is just now doing registration. Another told me they would know if they have any open spots next week. I think one morning a week would be nice for him. It's 2.5-3 hours. Each parent pitches in once per session to help the teacher.

I'm not terribly picky about where we do MMO, just a nice program with nice people who do craft projects where Charlie can throw shredded paper around and bang on a tambourine at music time. I think it's going to be a whole different ball game for next fall, though, for actual preschool. A ball game with applications and waiting lists and such. It's amazing to me, especially in a town this size. But I don't make the rules.

I'm also signing Brad and Charlie up for a Romp n' Roll class on Saturday mornings. That will give me a chance to have a break and - in the interim - catch up on work. Ugh, I hate even typing that. On a Saturday! That's just wrong! Anyways, I think it will be good for them to get some one on one time. And me to get some alone time. :)

Other then that I just have a few projects on my list that I'd like to tackle. First up is getting a bunch of Charlie's old clothes to the consignment shop. Like most babies, I'm sure, he has a ton of stuff where he grew so fast, the clothes were barely worn. Many, many things from before he switched to solid foods... and after solids came along and went everywhere... well, let's just say I have a lot of great dust rags.

So anyways, that's kind of what we're going to have going on in the next couple of months - trying to figure out what to do with ourselves and hammering out a schedule. Also, attempting to not have a nervous breakdown from my part time work! It's going to be interesting. But never, ever, boring.

1 comment:

Katie said...

You're going to be Wonder Woman and Wonder Mom! Sounds like you have a good plan to stay busy and sane all at the same time. ;)