Saturday, June 19, 2010

What We've Been Up To

Brad's been working from home this week, which is why I haven't blogged since Monday. It's the first time he's been able to work from home since February. I'd almost forgotten how much fun it is to have him around during the week.

We've cooked dinner each night, played with Charlie and watched DVD's of Lost and Dexter from Netflix. It's been so nice, though it makes me a little sad, wishing it could be like this more often. It's not meant to be right now, though, so I'm trying not to think about it like that too much.

Charlie's been having a bit of a vocabulary explosion recently. Out of the blue he started saying Uh Oh! in the car on the way to DC last weekend. Apple and ball soon followed. With Brad home this week he's been saying Daddy almost constantly. There's some hybrid between Yes and This, when he wants you to read a certain book or play with a certain toy. Seems like there have been a few others, but I'm blanking right now.

They started 'summer camp' at daycare this week and it sounds so fun, I wish I could go! Tuesday the ice cream truck came and Charlie had an ice cream sandwich, which he loved. Wednesday they played in the water for Splash Day and Thursday they did a bunch of things outdoors. A beekeeper came and talked to each classroom about what he does. The note on the sheet said Charlie was 'quite boisterous' while the beekeeper was talking. Friday they had a bounce house, but Charlie missed it because we were at the pediatrician.

Yeah, so, in less fun, boisterous news, Charlie big toe has gotten infected. This would be the toe he dropped the bottle on last weekend. It isn't too bad, but he did have to go on antibiotics and has to soak his foot twice a day for 20 minutes. There is no way we could get Charlie to just put his foot in some water so we put all of Charlie in the tub for a long bath. He's going to have some dry skin by the time this heals up.

Since Brad has been in town, we aren't walking into the weekend totally behind with 50 things to do so we're actually going to do something fun today. After Charlie gets up from his nap we are going to drive out to Charlottesville to check things out. I've never been, even after living here more then 3 years. It's only about an hour away.

We're going to check out the UVA campus, walk around the downtown area and probably grab some dinner somewhere casual. It's supposed to be very hot today, so we're going to play it by ear.

There are a lot of places I'd love to check out that aren't too far from our house. I've kind of made a resolution to myself to be a tourist in our own area more often. It is kind of pathetic how few notable places we have visited in 3 1/2 years. I think we've gotten a rut.

Tomorrow for my birthday/Father's Day we will probably keep it low key, especially since Brad will fly out again early Monday morning. My in-laws got me a comfort food cookbook for my birthday and I think I may make the Shepard's pie (one of Brad's favs) or the beef short ribs with polenta - something hearty like that. It's definitely a special occasion cookbook. Lotso butter, red meat, etc. in there.

We have an incredible bottle of wine we brought during our Italy trip that I think we're finally going to open, given the dual special occasion. The Casanoval di Neri Brunello. It was a splurge after visiting a wine bar in Montalcino. My goal is to cook something that will make the wine taste incredible. Brent and Melissa - we will be thinking of you when we open it!

Happy weekend everyone!

No comments: