Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Eat This, Not That

Pretty soon I should be able to rename this blog 'Paranoid Poodles' if I keep posting on alarming topics. A few days ago I shattered your belief system by informing you that only 37 of 500 sunscreens are any good. Today, I rock your world and your grocery list with information on pesticides.

I can't really take credit for this info; I am merely Sanjay Gupta's puppet. He's been doing a series on Toxic America and even though it's kind of sensationalist, I think it's interesting.

Just like the sunscreen guide, this study was conducted by the Environmental Working Group. I feel like I need to send them some money or something. Bang up job EWG!

They have released a list of particularly dirty produce that contains a lot of pesticides - 47-69 per serving. If you buy organic for these items, you will cut your pesticide consumption by 80%.

On the flip side, there is some produce that contains little to no pesticides, whether or not they are organic. If you buy organic for these items, you are a crazy spendthrift.

So here they are, and I did not come up with these cheesy titles -

  • Celery
  • Peaches
  • Strawberries
  • Apples
  • Domestic blueberries
  • Nectarines
  • Sweet bell peppers
  • Spinach, kale and collard greens
  • Cherries
  • Potatoes
  • Imported grapes
  • Lettuce
I would venture to guess that Sanjay (or the EWG Interns) threw Spinach, kale and collards in the same bullet so he (they) would have exactly 12 items and a snazzier title.

Let's guess how many non-organic versions of these I currently have in my kitchen?? 5. I guess I'll be dumping it out along with my Baby Banana Boat sunscreen.

  • Onions
  • Avocados
  • Sweet corn
  • Pineapples
  • Mango
  • Sweet peas
  • Asparagus
  • Kiwi fruit
  • Cabbage
  • Eggplant
  • Cantaloupe
  • Watermelon
  • Grapefruit
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Sweet onions
Most of these items you don't eat the exterior or they have a tougher skin, so I kind of get why they're safer. Asparagus is a head scratcher, though.

There's some other interesting information on the site about the study and pesticides. Like how they can't really be washed off and are linked to ADD in kids and cancer. Don't read it before you go to bed or you won't sleep a wink.

So there you go - no more blindly shopping for organic food and unintentionally stuffing your offspring with toxic chemicals. Did I mention my birthday is coming up?

No comments: