Sunday, May 2, 2010

Playroom

When we bought this house about half the attic had been finished out, complete with carpet, ceiling fan, vents, etc. What luck! Extra finished space WITH A/C and heat. You can get there via actual, normal sized stairs off one of the guest bedrooms- we practically have a third floor in this house! Jackpot!

Like everything else in this house it was really ugly.... but had potential. When we picked out this house (or rather, Brad prophetically announced/insisted this was 'our house' from its MLS listing before we even saw it), we bought a neighborhood, a peaceful wooded lot and a floor plan. Everything else has had to be fixed up.

Up until now we've used the finished attic space for storage and wrapping Christmas gifts. Now we have Charlie and he is into everything in every other room so we need a Charlie safe zone, if you will. As well as somewhere to dump most of the colorful molded plastic that comes with toddlerhood.

I'm kicking myself for not having 'before' pictures, but visualize stained old blue carpet, banged up walls and almond colored sockets/switches (I shudder just writing that). Amazing what a few small changes can do.

Stairs leading up....

View from the top of the stairs...

Looking back at the stairs from the other side of the room....
This room gets no natural light, so I wanted to keep the paint light and airy. I also painted the ceiling to try and make it feel bigger. The paint color is Sherwin Williams Retiring Blue - kind of an ocean-y aqua.

Though I am not one for 'themed' rooms I keep thinking nautical up here, so I love the new sand colored carpet. I think I want to put some deep blues and reds against the aqua paint. It will be subtle nautical, though, trust me.

Since there will be markers, finger paints and grubby hands on everything up here, I do believe IKEA will have the decorating honors. And my 10 year old 32 inch TV is finally going to be put back to use up here. We'll need some kind of sofa, a small table and chair set for Charlie and lots of short bookcases to line the walls for toys and books.

When it is furnished I think I may paint a patch of wall in magnetic chalkboard paint. Sounds fun, no?? Anyways, in several months when it's all done, I'll post more pics.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Perfect! You will love having a play room. Since you have a daycare kid, I encourage you to organize your room into "centers." This helps my boys put things away in the right area b/c it is a concept they are used to. Works for me!

Amy Gunther said...

Looks great. I can't wait to see it after your IKEA trip. Charlie will have so many fun memories in this space.

Amy said...

It looks wonderful. I can't wait to see it after your trip to IKEA. Charlie is going to make so many fun memories in this space!

Lakshmy said...

Wow - it's amazing what some new carpet and fresh coat of paint can do to a space! It looks leaps and bounds better than it did. Charlie is gonna love it!