Monday, May 10, 2010

My Semi-First Mother's Day

This felt like my first Mother's Day and it was very special. I was just so darn tired for the last one, I barely remember it. I remember going to dinner at the Tavern, Charlie refusing to sit in his carrier for any of it and getting a neat Flip Camera from Brad. That's about it. We weren't sleeping much back then. At All.

Fast forward to now and I had a heavenly, memorable Mother's Day weekend! I got to go get a massage on Saturday and Brad and I had a babysitter for Saturday night. We ran errands (yes, we paid someone for the luxury of running errands alone) and went to dinner - the patio at the Starlite Diner. We drove around the Fan and looked at the pretty houses. We were home by 8.

Sunday morning Brad let me sleep in and when I got up we had Sister Schubert's blueberry cream cheese rolls. Charlie had several. They made his tummy sooooo happy. He is totally our child. They did not mistakenly switch at the hospital - it is for certain.

It was a beautiful day here so we took a nice long walk in the afternoon after Brad finished working. I felt like Mexican food for dinner - or really, anything from a South/Central American country would have done the trick. Much like Chick-fil-A, I only crave Pescados (Latin/Caribbean seafood) on Sundays, when they are closed. It's such a shame, too, because their food is awesome and would have really hit the spot.

So instead, we went to Mexico restaurant for my Mother's Day dinner. And not just any Mexico restaurant, mind you - the super-ghetto Horsepen Road location. It was awful. Chewy, disgusting beef fajitas for 2. Charlie didn't seem to mind - he ate a bunch of them and all he wanted was the meat. Of course, the poor child has never had good fajitas. That kind of thing can get you called into Child Protective Services in Texas.

We spent most of dinner talking about how we need to get around to making fajitas and how epically good they were for our housewarming party in Silver Spring. Remind me to post my secrets of good fajitas some time. There are tricks. Important, not-to-be-missed tricks.

The upside of having Mother's Day dinner at the super-ghetto Mexico restaurant location is that 1) I didn't have to wash my hair and 2) donning my 'Woody's Bar' tank top and cargo pants was perfectly acceptable. Brad bought the tank for me in St. John after one too many rum punches. Classy.

Some special dinner pics:

Mother and child. One telling the other that he needs to pose for the camera because she wants a good Mother's Day picture, even if Mommy's hair is dirty and she's wearing a tacky tank top to humor Daddy.
There, that's better.
Lately Charlie only wants to eat if he has his own fork to stab things with. His food consumption doubles with the use of a fork. It turns eating into a combat sport. Here is Charlie demonstrating his mad fork skills:
Unfortunately, the way Charlie lets me know he wants a fork - or anything else for that matter - is this whiny noise. I need to start working with him on signing because he obviously has things he wants to tell me but can't figure out how to do it.

For instance: the Where is Baby's Belly Button books. He will toss one at me and make the whiny noise. Then we read it. Over. And over. And over again. He has this look of excited anticipation on his face each time I start reading it. Like he's wondering, where is Baby's Belly Button?? Will it be somewhere different this time??

Other then reading the same books for the 100th time, this week I am getting us ready to go to Pinehurst on Wednesday for the annual Spooner Family vacation with Brad's dad, stepmom and sister. The forecast calls for mostly sunny skies and a 100% chance of Awesome.

I hope all of you moms out there (especially my mom!) had a wonderful Mother's Day!

No comments: