Thursday, March 11, 2010

What a week

And I mean that in a bad way.

My normal week is pretty stressful. Brad travels and so I juggle Charlie, work, etc. on my own each week. There is not a lot of room for error and it takes very little to throw my week into a tailspin. Like an unexpected virus with overnight ramifications coming to visit.

I should really look on the bright side - at least it was not a stomach virus so there's nothing to, ahem, clean up. And fortunately I didn't catch it too, which would have made it harder to care for him. But poor Charlie just has the worst drainage and coughing. Add his asthma in the mix and he was pretty sick Tuesday night. And awake, screaming, extremely unhappy until the Tylenol kicked in. Neither of us got much sleep.

The next day, Charlie napped to address his lack of sleep. I took a different approach and just wrote a bunch of work emails that didn't make any sense. And ate waaaay too many girl scout cookies.

We went to the pediatrician on Wednesday morning to get him checked out. I always know that if I start feeling too full of myself or think for a moment that I'm actually taking care of this child properly, I can visit my pediatrician to be cut back down to size. Check your self confidence at the door please. Maybe I should have taken the doctor some girl scout cookies. Maybe that's why she was so hard on me.

I left with my list of things I am doing wrong/inadequately after a couple of lectures and being threatened that my son will be in the ER if the nebulizer mask separates from his face for even a moment! Be warned bad mother! Because of the lack of sleep from the night before I also left in tears. Charlie needed to get home for a nap so I didn't even have time to swing through the drive thru for a 'someone was mean to me' milkshake!

Anyways, I've been trying to catch up with work ever since and Charlie is still sick. Fortunately M-I-L Sue drove in from Williamsburg to watch Charlie today so I could get to work for a while. The fever appears to be gone and we're (I'm) going to play it by ear in the morning. I have SO. MUCH. work to do tomorrow. And I'd really rather just lay down and close my eyes. I'm not even picky as to where. Anywhere will do! Can I power nap in the car? Possibly.

There is relief on the horizon, though. My mom gets here Saturday to take care of Charlie and Brad and I leave for St. John on Sunday morning. Woohoo! I will not believe it until I am sitting on the plane. I think I'm scared to get my hopes up. I haven't packed a thing. Or doused myself in spray tanner. I am so pale, I glow.

I can't tell you how badly we need this break. I think my post-birth adrenalin has finally given out because my life is exhausting me lately. Brad and I are working on some options to make things easier with him gone so much - especially given all these inevitable illnesses, etc. that make the week so much more hectic when you're flying solo.

Our recent attempt to have babysitters come a couple of times a week after bed time has pretty much failed. While it's nice to get out, it just pushes the rest of my 'get ready for tomorrow' routine until later and I get less sleep. The week I had the babysitters come 2 nights I was exhausted. After a full day of work and taking care of Charlie I need to relax and take care of everything when he goes down for the night. And running to Target and the mall does not constitute relaxation. So that's kind of the challenge I'm working through lately.

On vacation we plan to do a whole lot of nothing soaked in rum punch. I'm taking the book The Help and am going to finally finish the Time Traveler's Wife. Also going to try to scuba dive while we're down there. I lost my certification card a long time ago when my wallet was stolen and never replaced it. We need a refresher course anyways because it's been so long since we went diving - I'm just hopeful they'll take my temp card if we schlep all our stuff down there. Oh well, it's paradise so everything will turn out just as it should, right? Or am I confusing it with heaven? I visualize them looking so similar!

Well I'd stay and talk longer but I have a nightly routine to get to. Sigh.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Vacation is almost here! You'll feel so much better after a break. Sounds like you have enough to read, but if need one more, I'm reading the Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society and it is a perfect beach read. Smaller than The Help and out in paperback. :)

Megan said...

KK, I was telling Tammie about your mean dr experience and she told me she went through the same thing!! She went through 4 pediatricians before finding one that didn't make her feel like the worst mother alive.

You are a fab mother KK and I'm very proud of you.

Wait - What's that sound? I think it's St. John calling your name!!

Love you!!!