Tuesday, March 23, 2010

One Year Doctor Appointment

We arrived at Charlie's doctor appointment 14 minutes late today. That is significant because they make you reschedule if you are 15 minutes late. The receptionist made a crack about just making it under the wire. What do you say to that? It's not intentional, we're just living right! It supports my theory that being late after having a kid is all relative.

Anyways, the reason we were 14 minutes is that Charlie was in a deep sleep when I got to daycare. Because he got shorted on his nap, he was fairly nightmare-ish at the doctor's office. Screaming in protest when he had to be weighed, measured, have the nurse hold him while I talk to the doctor... don't even get me started on the dramatics that ensued for his THREE vaccinations and drawing of blood. 50 long minutes.

Here are the stats -

Weight: almost 23 pounds - 50th percentile
Height: 31 inches - 75th percentile
Head Circumference: 18 7/8 inches - 90th percentile

Charlie got the Hep B, chicken pox and the dreaded MMR vaccinations. For some reason I thought the MMR was at 18 months, so that was an unpleasant surprise. We'd already decided he would get that vaccine so there wasn't really any issue but it makes me nervous. I feel like I'm just waiting and watching to make sure it's ok.

They also drew blood to make sure he's not anemic and to test for lead. Apparently if you live in our zip code then your kid gets tested for lead. Lots of old houses I guess. I think they call if something is wrong so no news is good news.

Developmentally he's right on track, babbling, hand clapping, cruising, etc. We're supposed to start cutting back on bottles in favor of more solid food and sippy cups. Not sure how that's going to go over because Charlie loves to snuggle up for a bottle. I'm also kind of sad to see that phase out because it means he's not a baby! But those Dr. Brown's bottles sure are a pain in the behind with all the different parts. So that's glass half full of me, right?

Anyways, that's about it. We came home, played, he inhaled a bunch of dinner and is sleeping fine. No fever. Next appointment at 15 months.

No comments: