Thursday, March 25, 2010

More Food

I got the big eyes from the pediatrician Tuesday after I told him how much milk I have been giving Charlie since he got off formula last month. I get those big eyes whenever I'm doing something wrong. So like, frequently.

Anyways, Charlie had been drinking as much milk as he did formula - about 28-30 ounces a day. He would drink that much and eat about a meal and a half a day. What can I say - this kid's an eater.

I was told no more then 20 ounces a day of milk - preferable 18 or less. Also to start using cups instead of bottles and that should cut down on how much milk he drinks. I just can't cut the morning and night time bottles yet - that is our snuggle time and it just won't work with a sippy cup. Or a cup with a straw, which Charlie thinks is awesome but mostly because he can spray liquid everywhere and that's fun. For one of us.

I'm still working on finding different things to cook for Charlie that he will actually eat, even if it's reheated the next day at daycare. That second part is key - he rejects reheated food most of the time. My role is basically transitioning into short order cook.

I usually try to cook something that both of us can eat for dinner so I've been looking for things I like too. And I make my best effort to sneak in fruits and veggies into it. I've found a lot of prepared foods have almost no fiber or iron in them. No fiber sure does make for some interesting diapers (in both their creation and changing), I'll tell you that. I also read iron deficiency is common in toddlers.

So for my fellow mama friends, here are some new things I recently discovered that Charlie likes to eat and I am halfway willing to eat - mostly because I'm too lazy to cook two meals:
  • Seapoint Farms Dora the Explorer Edamame packets - the edamame is already shelled. I love these for a snack.
  • Red Mill high fiber pancake mix with chopped bananas and blueberries thrown in
  • Organic applesauce with chopped blackberries
  • R.W. Knudson Organic low sugar Sensible Sippers in mixed berry. Something about the dark blue berry puree in these makes me feel like they are healthy.
  • Putney frozen pasta - these are really pretty good for frozen pasta. Charlie inhaled them.
  • Annie's Bunny Grahams - oh so very delicious. I eat more of these then he does.
  • Scrambled eggs - I usually put diced bell peppers or asparagus in there. Mushrooms were an epic fail.
  • Steamed broccoli. He loves it. LOVES. My mom figured it out last week and he keeps eating it. I don't even have to put cheese on top!
  • I tried to put cheese and broccoli in canned crescent rolls and bake them. He ate them hot out of the oven and then turned up his nose the next day at daycare. Snob.
  • Sweet potatoes or butternut squash roasted in the oven with a little butter and brown sugar.
  • He loves Total Cinnamon Crunch cereal dry out of the box he has grabbed from the island cabinet where I keep the cereal. The poodles generally get in on the fun. One bite for them, one bite for Charlie.
  • Dried green beans
  • Orzo pasta with marinara, peas and corn thrown in
  • Boca fake chicken nuggets. Again these may only be freshly cooked. We can not abide by reheated "chicken".
If you have any other ideas, please email or post, as I am always looking for new ideas for him. This means you Suzie. :)

No comments: