Sunday, January 3, 2010

Holidays 2009

My family was able to stay a few more days after Christmas and we had a great time shopping, taking Charlie places, eating yummy food and hanging out at the house. We went to the mall and had lunch at California Pizza kitchen. We sat Charlie in his first restaurant high chair, which he loved. I think he liked being at the table and part of everything. He loved the pita bread and pizza. He also tried a lemon and squished up his face after. Meredith and Megan did some damage at H&M and my mom and I found cute table linens on sale at Pottery Barn so we all went home happy.
During the visit, we were all in collective agreement (except maybe for Brad) that Charlie needed more toys so we hit up Toys R Us and picked him out some new things. Loud, music-playing, bilingual, multi-sensory things. His excitement was evident.
After my family headed back to Dallas and NYC, Brad and I had a pretty lame New Year's eve. We were both not feeling that great and Brad was still getting over strep throat. So we made a nice dinner, opened a really nice bottle of Brunello di Montalcino and watched the latest Harry Potter movie. I think we were in bed by 10:30 or so. Yes, we are just that exciting.

On New Year's Day we headed to Williamsburg for a night - my in-laws had offered to babysit Charlie overnight so Brad and I could get out for a date night. Third time in 10 months we've been able to do that so it was a very big deal! We felt really lucky to squeeze it in before travel and real life kicks back in on Monday.

We had lunch at the house with the fam - traditional New Year's Day foods of black eyed peas, collards, etc. and then checked in at Kingsmill Resort for the night. I went to the spa for a facial and then we both got to the gym - we don't get to go very often so it was kind of a treat. I never thought I would say that about the gym. Huh.

We went to dinner at the Blue Talon Bistro in Colonial Williamsburg, which is French comfort food. Love love love. Kingsmill and Colonial Williamsburg were both still decorated for the holidays, which was nice - still felt holiday-ish. It was also brutally cold outside so we didn't do a lot of lingering outside.

We got to sleep in the next morning, go to breakfast and then headed back over to pick up Charlie. He had a great time staying with them and slept like a champ. This was the view from our room, which was on the James River and the River course.
We came back home and had our neighbors over for wings and the Arkansas bowl game. They won - barely - because the other team's kicker missed a field goal. FOUR times. Yeah. Brad had lots of commentary during the game... while wearing SHORTS to grill the wings even though it was 20 something degrees outside. I'm telling you, I want to hide the shorts from November-February.

All in all, it's been a great couple of weeks of holiday and vacation. It's felt long, we've gotten to relax a lot and even spend some time alone together. Now it's time to get back to work and get on those New Year's resolutions! But that's another post.

No comments: