Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thankful

The other day when I was picking up some lunch a TV in the food court had CNN on. The reporter was interviewing a man who was unemployed about his situation and he broke down into tears mid-sentence while responding to the reporter's question. The most heartbreaking part of it was how embarrassed and apologetic he was about crying; like his own reaction was surprising to him. He kept apologizing and finally said it was just so hard to not be able to take care of his family.

As much as I hate to admit this because the mainstream news media frequently rides my nerves, I've been thinking about that clip quite a bit since I saw it. This may sound odd but it has put me in the holiday spirit. The real one - not the one sold at the mall. Thinking about that man and his family makes me grateful for all the blessings I have in life because life for a lot of people is very hard.

So in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I present the Bad Poodles edition of things I am thankful for in my life:
  • This beautiful, healthy baby boy that I love being with. I'm still pinching myself that God picked me to be his mother.
  • My husband who works extremely hard to take care of our family. We have really weathered some storms together in the past year and lived to tell the tale.
  • My family, who are all so supportive and adore Charlie. They're quite fond of Brad and me too! Kidding, kidding. They love all of us very much.
  • My friends, who always make me laugh and go out of their way for me. They the kind of friends that fly in from Texas to visit, that send emails to check in on me, that offer to help with Charlie and brought dinner when we came home from the hospital. Top Notch friends I tell you.
  • A year of good health for Brad, Charlie and me.
  • I have a good job where I work with nice people who have become my friends.
  • Brad has a good job in this horrible economy where a lot of people in his skill set are unemployed.
  • The blog's namesakes who continue to offer unconditional love even though they haven't gotten as much attention since Charlie arrived. They are sweet puppies.
  • Soon there will be another big screen opportunity to gawk at Robert Pattinson with no shirt on. Come on, you knew that was coming.
There are a lot of other things I could write up that I am grateful for but I can probably lump them all in a category of having all of my life needs met and then some. I want for nothing in this life and that is a very fortunate thing.

I've also been thinking of something Brad and I could do this holiday season to help out someone who needs it. I'm brainstorming some ideas and still looking into that. More to come.

Ok, scurry off now and go think of what you're thankful for too! Happy early Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: