Monday, October 19, 2009

Weekend with Nana


My mom came to visit this past weekend to see 'her Charlie' and remedy her 'Charlie-itis' (the affliction of missing Charlie). She was a little worried he wouldn't remember her but I knew better. She went in to his nursery on Friday morning after getting here late Thursday night and he immediately reached out for her from his crib. He looooooves his Nana!

Charlie's been teething quite a bit lately and was cutting *FOUR* new teeth over the weekend. His bottom center two teeth are pretty much in and now the top center four teeth are breaking through all at the same time. Looks very painful. His cheeks are puffed out and swollen looking most of the time - I wonder if there aren't some other teeth breaking through I can't see.

Anyways, all this teething is manifesting itself in broken sleep - for both of us. It started last Wednesday when he mysteriously got up at 3am and there has been some form of sleep deprivation every night since then. My mom is so sweet - she got up with me each time. I think we sent her home exhausted!

In my typical rookie mom fashion, I naively had all these fabulous plans in my head for the weekend, none of which came to fruition. My vision was the perfect fall weekend in Virginia - visiting a pumpkin patch or apple orchard, maybe going to downtown Charlottesville for some shopping, cooking some yummy food and everything just being so cozy and perfect.

Reality looked more like a poor teething baby on an unpredictable schedule, miserable wet weather you don't feel like going out in and a new dishwasher installation taking three times as long as it should because of rotten floor boards underneath. Also, the quality of my cooking has really tanked since becoming a mom so none of the food I had planned turned out very well.

Even making it to the great restaurant we wanted to take my mom to on Saturday (Pescados) didn't happen because it was late, Charlie was tired and we didn't have time. So we ended up down the street at the Tavern. Again. For someone who doesn't live here, my mother has eaten at the Tavern a disproportionate number of times. For such a young baby, so has Charlie. Here he is in his neato Chicco high chair thing, probably thinking 'Really guys? The Tavern AGAIN???'

And stealing Daddy's iPhone since his computer wasn't available.

Charlie loves to get a hold of our phones and laptops - we joke that he has a lot of work to do and we are really messing him up by not getting him his own phone and computer. So my mom got him a toy laptop at Target! And he LOVES it! Finally he can get to work and tackle that long to-do list!

Sunday we stopped by the Fall Festival at Charlie's school very briefly. It was so cold and windy we really couldn't stay for long. They had a petting zoo, bouncy house, games, face painting and stuff like that. Obviously Charlie is too young for just about all of it, though Brad did try to make sure Charlie got a nice close up view of some of the animals. However, I think the other kids are as fascinating as the farm animals to Charlie....

Luckily I had left Charlie's hooded sweatshirt at school last week so we had something extra warm to put on him when Rookie Mom forgot to bring a hat for him.


Anyways, it was a really fun weekend. My mom is just fun to be around and she really didn't care about doing anything but being around Charlie. We did shop a little and just hung out and relaxed. Finally saw Confessions of a Shopaholic (firmly mediocre) and caught up on Project Runway. In hindsight I just have to laugh at the difference between my envisioned weekend and reality - so out of whack!

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh my god... that first pic makes me want to die!! I can't wait to see you guys!!

The Balog Family said...

That is the cutest pic of Charlie and Nana! Totally a framer!! Don't feel bad about the weekend...it still happens to me, 4 years and 2 kids later! :)

Megan said...

So cute!!! I love that smile! MIss you guys!!