Monday, October 26, 2009

Pumpkins and Charlie

The leaves here just changed last and are brilliant so we drove out to Ashland Berry Farm to get some pumpkins and mums. I thought it would be a nice relaxing way to spend Sunday afternoon but the drive was kind of tense because Charlie had a really bad cough after he woke up from his nap. It was like there was a 60 year old lifetime smoker in his car seat.

When we got there it was SO crowded. Hour and a half line for the hayride out to the fields where the pumpkins are. Apparently my idea of a nice relaxing afternoon in the country was neither original nor realistic! So we snapped some pictures, decided we'd just grab some pumpkins at the grocery store and headed out. Poor Charlie coughed the whole way home and I wasn't feeling too hot myself. Just icky.

By 5pm he was wheezing pretty badly so we headed over to the ER to get him looked at. What didn't occur to me until we got there was how packed the ER would be. There was a sign in the front that if you had any flu like symptoms to put on a mask and easily half the waiting room had one on.

Luckily yesterday was fairly warm - Brad ended up standing outside with Charlie while I got us checked in. Since the H1N1 vaccination is next to impossible to find here and it's running rampant through Richmond we wanted to keep Charlie away from the waiting room - but obviously couldn't keep him away from the ER all together.

Once Charlie had been triaged and they listened to him trying to breathe we were whisked to the back and they had him on a breathing treatment in no time. Two more treatments followed and some oral steroids and he was doing much, much better. They took an x-ray to make sure it wasn't pneumonia and it wasn't - but definitely asthma.

We went home with our own nebulizer machine so we can give him treatments at home. Charlie basically hates wearing the mask we have to put on him to receive the treatment. He fought us tooth and nail last night at the hospital and is a little bit better at home but so squirmy.

At our follow up doctor appointment today they told me to give him inhalable steroids through the nebulizer twice a day until December. Since he hates it that just sounds like a lot of fun! But he is back to his normal self and hopefully the daily treatments will mean colds are just colds and not a reason to rush to the ER for his breathing.

Through all of it last night I felt pretty cruddy. I'm not sure what is up with me - I was up a bunch of the night not feeling well and I stayed home from work today. I also had a dermatologist appointment and they took off 5 moles - 1 that was annoying and 4 she didn't like the look of. It takes 2 weeks to get the biopsy results. Seems kind of long, right?

I think we did some other stuff this weekend... oh yeah we went and looked at cars. Watched some football. Ate ribs. Went to bed at 8:30 on Friday night like 7 years olds!

Anyways, there's your Spooner health update. And a couple of pictures of a kid who doesn't feel that great being forced to pose on some pumpkins at the pumpkin patch:


Lindsay said...

We've dealt with the nebulizer, too, and our pediatrician said it's really ok just to aim it at them if they are fighting it. We even tried aiming it at his nose while he was drinking a bottle because he would lie still.

Good luck!

Megan said...

He looks so cute in his overalls!!! Can't even tell everyone was feeling cruddy. Can't wait to see you guys in a couple months.

aichiba said...

That Charlie is a cutie pie - sick and all. Love the pumpkin pictures. Didn't appreciated them until I had kids of my own!