Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Six Month Check Up

As the title implies, today we went for Charlie's six month check up at the pediatrician. Disorganized mommy booked the appointment too late and so we were really there closer to Charlie being seven months. That throws the percentiles off a tad but other then that is no big deal. So here are the stats:

Weight: 18 lbs, 2 oz. (50th percentile)
Height: 27 3/4 inches (75th percentile)
Head: 17 3/4 inches (75th percentile)

Could someone please explain to me the value of tracking head circumference? I get why they track height and weight, to make sure the baby grows at a steady rate, but if the head jumps in size, what does that really tell us? I mean I'm kind of joking but not really. **Update** Hydrocephalus. That is why. I had to google it, but now I know. Thank you Lindsay!

We had just been to the pediatrician's office last Friday when Charlie got a cold last week that turned into wheezing. Brad has asthma and it looks likely that Charlie does too. He got his second breathing treatment ever and screamed for 14 of the 15 minutes. I sure was missing my mom about then because she entertained Charlie the first time he got one of these treatments in July and it was considerably more pleasant. I don't think there's any risk of Charlie preferring the doctor we saw that day over his regular one. Anyways, the doctor said the wheezing hasn't quite cleared up yet so Charlie is still taking his inhaler a couple of times a day.

Unfortunately Brad is up against a deadline this week and working out of town so I was flying solo today. I was a little nervous about holding Charlie while he got his shots - Brad has always been the one to do that. Surprisingly, it was a lot easier then I expected. He wailed a little bit but no tears. He's had a little fever since then but seems like his normal self.

I talked to the doctor some about food and now that we are such lovers of fruits and vegetables, we can try out some bread! I haven't quite decided in what form - the doctor said something about pizza crusts? I'm not sure - I get 90% of my parenting skills from google so I need to check it out there. The doctor said no meat or dairy until 9 months but otherwise to feel free to try out new things as soon as we can determine there are no allergies to the last new thing he tries.

Our next scheduled visit to the pediatrician will be for Charlie's first flu shot (he has to get 2) towards the end of October. We go back December 11 for his 9 month appointment and he'll get his second flu shot then.

Something about getting the shots makes Charlie so sleepy - I'm sure the tylenol for the fever contributes too. He was groggy and then out like a light early tonight. If I'm lucky that won't translate into an extra early wake up time!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Watching for hydrocephalus?

Ah, my boys love their bread. I started with veggie puffs for AJC, then our staple: "stick crackers" (stick-shaped graham crackers). Now, he just loves it if you tear up bits of bread on his tray. Easy!