Friday, July 31, 2009

5 Months of Charlie


This post is so overdue. Charlie was 5 months old on Monday, though I thought for several days it was Tuesday until Brad corrected me that day. So I totally missed wishing Charlie a 5 month birthday! Not that he realizes any of that. I think it's an accurate commentary of how well my brain is functioning lately. In fact, I have been so beat ever since we got back from Arkansas Sunday that not only am I forgetful, can no longer spell and can't comprehend the most basic of jokes, I am also a delinquent blogger. Luckily since I'm a fairly new parent my Friday nights hold no more excitement then to get caught up on blogging! As for the rest of it.. well, I guess there's spell check and knock knock jokes. Anyways, on to the good stuff.

Charlie feels like a different baby from even a month ago - not to mention two months ago when I spent my evenings doing laps around the living room carrying him in a certain position to alleviate gas pressure (with a glass of wine on the counter for a 'wine stop' on each lap). He has so much personality - laughing, smiling, reacting to what we say, playing, reaching, etc. I now know what our pediatrician meant when he told the two defeated souls sitting across from him (us) at Charlie's 2 month appointment that the fun stuff wasn't too far off so hang in there. The fun stuff has officially arrived!

Charlie notices a lot more things now and it is fascinating to watch him discover all of it. He is better then television! Ceiling fans are a favorite and we are considering installing at least one in our house, which has none. He is also finally noticing the poodles and like every other little kid, prefers Ringo to Zoe. Poor Zoe. She tries so hard but licks too much and the kids want to avoid her. Ringo wants nothing to do with any of them and they can't get enough of him. Obviously Zoe needs to learn the merits of the 'hard to get' technique. Charlie laughs when he watches Ringo do just about anything and likes to stroke his hair. Unfortunately for Ringo, stroking usually turns to pulling and while he is patient, he doesn't like it. All of this happens while I'm holding Charlie, so I'm able to unlatch him pretty quickly. Once Charlie learns to crawl, the poodles are screwed.

Speaking of crawling, we have some solid pre-crawl work going on right now. He's pretty much up on his elbows and shins and does some forward-backward movement. He almost seems a little frustrated he can't get all the parts working at once. I personally think he's anxious to get moving so he can get into everything he sees and join the 'big kids' on the floor at daycare. Every time they come near him he is thrilled. We are going to have to do some serious babyproofing of this house soon. Anything Charlie sees us come into contact with he wants to grab. The remote, my book, our cell phones, Brad's beer. I can't blame him about the cell phone though - I downloaded a baby rattle on in iPhone that he finds fascinating. It's called Bab Bab Lite and is a free app if you have a small kid you need to entertain. 

In other good news, we've got some good sleep going on around here - finally!!! You know all those parents out there who kinda miss the early days of babyhood where there's almost constant napping because at 5 months their baby just isn't sleeping as much? Well we aren't them! I think Charlie is breaking personal records for sleep now that his gas is finally starting to subside - or at least find its way out. He is even napping on his back at daycare. Almost 2.5 hours today! At night we're working an 8:30pm to 7am schedule. Heaven I tell you. 

In not so good news, I have pretty much quit nursing. Today I did not nurse at all despite trying both in the morning and tonight - he rejected me both times. It's sad for me as I would have loved to keep partially breastfeeding for a while. But I think once a majority of Charlie's meals were coming from bottles (aka when daycare started) then that is what he wanted. I'm not really getting enough when I pump to make it worth the time (like less then an ounce) so my supply must have really dwindled. I think the bottles are about to face a similar rejection; now that Charlie has experienced food, that is what he wants the most. I guess the bottles and I can start a support group soon. 

At any rate, the experience has brought out strange reactions in me that I didn't expect. At first when my hormones were all crazy my body was saying Get Pregnant - NOW! Which Brad and I had a good laugh about because really, NO. But it's also made me realize that I am going to want another child at some point, which is not something I was so sure of before. It's also made me question my career at times in the train of thought that if I wasn't working I could have nursed Charlie longer and it would have been better for him, etc. While I do think that stay at home moms are probably a lot more successful at longer term breastfeeding, I need to get my head out of that arena. Clearly it is hormones talking. Let me take this moment to thank Mother Nature for the hundredth time for making me an irrational nut job. 

But enough about me - back to Charlie. Or Brad, really. Charlie LOVES Brad. It is like Brad is the coolest thing Charlie has ever seen when he walks into the room and it is so exciting to see him! There is an instant reaction whenever he sees Brad. If Charlie hasn't smiled for a while because he is tired all it takes is Brad talking to him or making faces and all the sudden it's party time. It's really neat to watch. Charlie also tries to imitate Brad with different movements Brad will do. I'm starting to appreciate the very different relationships that Brad and I will each have with Charlie. I definitely don't think one takes a backseat to the other - they are each so special. I'm lucky to have two such wonderful guys who love me so much. 

Charlie/Daddy shot:

One thing I think is so cute is how Brad takes Charlie to daycare when he is in town. When I take him, it is pretty much all business because I have to get to work and I feel guilty leaving him so I do it quickly. Brad takes Charlie and they spend a while watching the fish tank in the entrance, he sits with him in circle time and just sticks around the room for a bit. Sometimes Brad helps the teachers if they need it. One time he blew bubbles with the kids so Charlie could grab at them. All in all it's a much longer experience and I wish I could be a fly on the wall for it. Brad is a great daddy.

I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting because hey, I've got the mommy stupids now. We have an exciting month coming up so there will be a lot to cover when Charlie hits 6 months. Next weekend we are taking Charlie to New York City for the weekend to visit his Aunt Meredith. First trip to the Big Apple! In a few more weekends we are taking him to Washington DC to visit Aunt Lakshmy and Uncle Mike. First trip to our Nation's Capital. Gotta make sure we get plenty of pictures since I'm fairly certain Charlie won't remember either trip. It's really fun having a baby who is a good traveler though! He has such a patient temperament and is so cheerful all of the time and fun to be with. It feels like we have come so far in just a couple of months. Amazing. Just amazing.

Out takes from our photo shoot:


3 comments:

amygunther said...

What a great post! It felt like we were having a cup of coffee and chatting about the kids. I know that I have said this a million times but I can't wait for Charlie and Finn to meet. They both seem like they are on the move so I am sure that they will be two peas in a pod one day.

Soña said...

Haha -- I love the outtakes Kara. Great post. Charlie is adorable as always.

Nancy said...

I miss Charlie. Love the picture of Brad and Charlie!