Friday, May 1, 2009

Two Month Check Up

Charlie had his doctor's appointment this morning and it was an ordeal. The doctor and nurses got to see just how much fun it is to take him places. He cried nonstop and would not be soothed. We got him to calm down for a few minutes a couple of times, but the rest of the time it was very loud crying. The other infants in the waiting room were probably wondering what they were in for.

Despite all the drama, the outcome of the appointment was pretty positive. He now weighs 11 pounds, 3 ounces and is 23 1/2 inches long. He's in the same percentiles that he was at 1 month, so he's growing steadily. Everything else looked good, but the doctor did note all the gas in his belly and the nurses noticed too when they came to get him for his shots. All the doctor had to say about it was that he will eventually grow out of it and we can continue the same mylicon/gripe water regimen we've been following. I'm continuing to stay off dairy so I don't aggravate it but it's still so bad, I'm not sure it really makes a difference.

Charlie got 4 shots and an oral vaccine. He seemed to like the oral vaccine pretty well - he paused in his crying and gulped it right down. The crying turned from upset to downright heartbreakingly pathetic when he got his shots. I probably would have cried too - the needles were HUGE for such a tiny person. He calmed down a little once we got back in the car but was upset again before we got home. I think Charlie may be the only baby in the world who hates riding in the car. We went ahead and gave him some preemptive tylenol when we got home and then I fed him and he's been conked out for 2 1/2 hours. Poor guy. 

I'm not sure why he's upset so much when we leave the house and it's pretty frustrating. We were talking to this other couple in the waiting room whose baby was born the same day as Charlie and they were telling us how when they go out to dinner they leave the house early so they can drive around a while and put the baby to sleep so he'll sleep through dinner. Brad and I looked at each other like 'they take their baby out to dinner?' because it's just not something we can picture right now with Charlie. I keep trying to take him out but it is so exhausting (mostly for me) that it's often just not worth it. I'm really not sure what to do about this, but I'm hopeful as his gas improves so will taking him out in public. Maybe he's just really uncomfortable. That's what the nurse thought anyways.

The other Charlie-related ordeal we have going on right now has to do with daycare. We got on a couple of waiting lists but had one place in mind that we really liked and they told us it would be 7 or so months of waiting - that was 8 months ago. They left a message on Brad's phone last week that Charlie's number was up and they had a spot for him. Brad called back this week and they said no, he's #6. He called back a couple of days later and he's #9. They said they got us mixed up with this other family that has an infant and the last name of Spooner. Riiiiiiggggght. 

We are both doubtful that they'll have a spot ready for him in time for me to go back to work and I'm not all that sure I want to leave him with them because I think they are lying to us. So we are scrambling to figure something out. Brad just left to go visit another school hoping maybe they can work with us. With all the layoffs in Richmond people are pulling their kids out of daycare all the time, so who knows.

That's all for us - have a good weekend!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I feel your pain on the baby gas. It just sucks. But it does go away eventually! I promise it gets better! Eventually, you'll get to the point where you can work his legs (bicycle, up over his head, etc) and get it out. Then he'll just toot on his own like everyone else. It's so freeing!

AJC also hates the car in phases. I can't tell you how many nights I picked up JTC from daycare, and AJC screamed the whole way, both ways. Ugh.

Guess what? It gets better! I promise! The first four or so months are So So hard. Then it gets better!

meghant said...

Kara I also feel your pain on the gas issue. Our first had serious gas issues and the only thing we could do was hold him laying on his belly, with the palm of our hand pushing on his belly...that seemed to help. Also we started him sleeping on his belly really early to help things too. As for going places with him...I feel your pain there too. Our second hated going anywhere for about the first 3 months of his life...maybe a little longer. Then all of a sudden it stopped...out of nowhere. Not sure what made it stop, but thank goodness it did. Hang in there girl....I PROMISE it will get better. Everything gets better at 3 months...it's like the magic mark.

Meredith said...

Undesirable behavior in a childcare provider- lying, being shady, and saying everything's fine when it's not. I can see where you are concerned!