Wednesday, May 27, 2009

3 months of Charlie


Today Charlie is 3 months old! I don't mean this in a bad way, but man these have been the longest 3 months of my life! Probably because in that time my life has become different in just about every way possible. Also because the itty bitty baby I gave birth to has changed so much in that time. 

Charlie really responds so much now to just about anything we say to him and it is so much fun. His faces and sounds are hilarious. He loves looking in the mirror and I'll carry him around to different mirrors in the house and he'll look at both of us and smile. He also really responds to music. He seems to like the 60's and 70's the best, though we are branching out a tad. I sing Rock the Boat by the Hues Corporation to him and he looooooves it. He will go from all out fussiness to smiling if I sing that to him. I only know a few of the lyrics so it gets a tad repetitive. But what does he know; he's a baby.

His favorite activities besides looking in the mirror are laying on his changing table talking and watching other kids. He could spend hours on that changing table just looking up and 'talking' to whoever is there. Watching other kids is a recent development and I only really noticed it this morning. I took him to Once Upon a Child and we were looking at clothes. Wouldn't you know it, here comes the colic and Charlie is in pain and starts crying so I walk him around the store. We passed the play area where some kids were and he stopped crying and just watched, fascinated. Then today when I picked him up from his visit to daycare he was sitting in a swing with a huge grin on his face just watching 3 other kids who were playing nearby. Methinks he can't wait to get mobile and join in. 

Speaking of colic, we are still fighting it. I wish I could blame it on something I eat but there is no rhyme or reason to it. It happens whether I feed him or he has formula. There are periods every day where he stiffens up his legs and I can feel his tummy contracting. His face scrunches up and he has a certain cry. It's heartbreaking. I can't wait for him to grow out of it. It makes taking him places a challenge because there's just no way I'm going to keep grocery shopping or eating lunch while he's screaming in pain. Basically I drop everything and hold him and push his knees to his tummy and just walk him around for a while. Day care said they have to do the same thing and it happens for them every day too. I think his infant carrier car seat is aggravating it because the buckle pushes on his tummy. I may move him out of it sooner then planned.

We are more successful on the sleep front. Charlie sleeps for 8 or 9 hours a night. Straight. Yeah, I know. After I sold my soul to the devil and started letting him sleep on his tummy we went from 1 to 2 hours of sleep at a time to straight through the night. Literally. He is not so good at napping but I think day care wears him out so much that he is getting on more of a nap schedule. Yesterday it wore him out so much that he came home and slept for 11 hours straight. He's starting to go down earlier and get up earlier, which is huge. Getting to work on time would be a bit tricky if he was sleeping until 9 every day. And one big rule in the Spooner house is Don't Wake the BABY!

This past weekend Charlie had his first true giggle. He was in his car seat and we were on our way home from Nags Head. To entertain him I was grabbing his little feet and nibbling on them while making sounds like I was eating them. This was the height of entertainment and the giggles were so cute! I wish I could catch them on tape but Charlie shuts it down when he sees a camera come out. Catching his smiles on camera is pretty hard, too. I still haven't caught his all-out gleeful smile but this is a nice grin:


Hmmm, what else.... He is out of all his newborn and just about all of his 0-3 month stuff. We are in the 3 to 6 and sometimes 6 month stuff. He's a long baby, so things get too short way before they are too small. The stuff that's long enough tends to be pretty baggy. It's fun to have some new outfits as he gets bigger. He sure goes through the clothes with day care - they change him at the drop of a hat and I have to have extra outfits there on hand for them. So we've been stocking up a tad on summer gear. He eats about every 3 hours and it's been mostly breast milk lately and just 2 or 3 ounces a day of the formula. I anticipate this to increase when I go back to work since my stockpile is gone. 

I think that's a pretty good recap of where we are. To document this momentous occasion I had Charlie pose in his sleep sack after I got him dressed for bed. And then I just propped him up on the rocker chair in his nursery and he can pretty well keep himself up! His neck control is pretty impressive if I do say so myself. 

During tonight's impromptu photo session Zoe and Charlie had a staring contest. Zoe won.


It takes a lot of photos to get one or two good ones - those would be the ones above. Tonight's session was no exception. Here are some of the outtakes:








2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That picture of Charlie and Zoe is too cute!

Lakshmy said...

Love the pictures! Adorable.