Monday, April 27, 2009

Two Months of Charlie

Charlie is two months old today. And he has quite a bit to say about it.

video

We had a very nice day today. It was very warm and sunny in Richmond and it's starting to feel like summer. I sat outside with him on the deck for a bit this morning before it got too hot. Charlie seems to be able to see things further away and is fascinated with light right now. Lamps, chandeliers, the sun coming through the blinds - he studies all of them. So the sunlight coming through the trees kept his attention for a little while longer then my other methods of mobile, swing, play mat, etc.

I also took Charlie up to work this afternoon to show him off. Since he avoids napping at all costs, he was pretty tired by 2pm and was kind of fussy while he was there, but the experienced moms knew how to hold him to quiet him right down. I wish I had that skill! Oh well, practice makes perfect, right?

Tonight we just talked and took some pictures and of course tried to fill the hollow leg. He is still eating like crazy and I am still supplementing with formula. It's like crack for babies - once he started eating it, we can't get him off of it. Whatever I feed him just doesn't seem to fill him up. It's not a supply thing - he eats for a long time but is still hungry. Am I serving him skim when he needs whole? I'm not sure. 

As for his 2 month stats, we'll get those on Friday at his appointment. I am apprehensive about the shots - while I'm pretty sure I know how he is going to react, I'm not all that sure how I'm going to react. I am really excited to see what his weight gain is. It feels like he has grown so much in the last 4 weeks. And my left shoulder can really tell the difference - it is so sore!

There is lots of cooing going on, along with gurgling, drooling, bubble blowing and the cutest little sneezes you've ever seen. Charlie has recently discovered his tongue and loves to stick it out. He also finds it hilarious when I stick my tongue out at him. He's starting to grab for more things and hold on. I can tell in a few weeks I'm really going to have to watch out for my necklaces and my hair. 

We also see a lot of smiles and what are about to be giggles, but now sound like something between a burp and a squeak. There is a certain special smile he saves just for me and it melts my heart. I usually get one first thing in the morning when I'm changing his diaper and it is the most wonderful way to start the day. It's funny - diaper changing for Charlie is either awesome and filled with smiles or the stuff that baby meltdowns are made of. 

He's still wearing some 0-3 month clothes and some 3-6 month clothes that are a tad too big. He loves to kick his legs and move his arms around while I'm trying to change outfits. We go through so many clothes a day. This kid can wet an outfit on the sly while you're changing him and then you pick him up and find a giant wet spot and have to start all over. He's sneaky, that Charlie.

Besides the nap situation, I couldn't ask for a better sleeper. He is currently sleeping 8 to 9 hours a night. I'm not quite sure how I got so lucky. I kind of pay for it during the day as he cluster feeds a lot and doesn't want to nap. I could debate whether it's worth it or not, but what's the point? Charlie has already made it clear he knows what sleeping schedule he wants to adhere to. Pity the poor soul who tries to mess with it.

I know we have some exciting developments coming in the next month and it will be so fun to watch! I am so fortunate to have this time with him and since he began sleeping better I am loving every minute of it! Sleep deprivation is rough but once I got through it, it is a lot easier to stop and smell the roses and appreciate the little wonderful things about spending the day with him. And I absolutely love rocking him at night before he goes to bed. Truly the best feeling in the world. 

Happy 2 month birthday Charlie!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Such a great video! It sounded like he was really trying to say goodbye at the end! LOVES IT

Stephanie said...

Cluster feeds? Omg, I have soooo much to learn. In any event, you have an absolutely adorable child. :)