Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring Break, Newborn Style

what's cookin' good lookin'???

My mom and sisters are here for a few days to visit Charlie. It's my mom's spring break and my sisters both took a couple of days off from work to spend time with their new nephew. It's been pretty laid back and a lot of fun. Meredith and Megan are so cute with Charlie and, as predicted, he is almost constantly being held. He has been sleeping in the bassinet in my mom's room, but tonight, we may try him out in his crib for the first time. Brad and I have gotten a record amount of sleep this week. I get up to pump a couple of times and that's it. My mom gives him the bottles of what I pump and that's been working really well. He eats much quicker and doesn't wake up as much, so I'm going to keep doing that after she leaves. We are also not waking him up for any reason. If he's hungry, he lets us know. But don't wake the monster.

I have not been as good at taking it easy this week as I should have and I've decided that I can not help myself. After they are all gone I will probably kick myself, but I don't get to see my mom and sisters all together like this very often. I also want so badly for things to be 'normal.' This long-term need to rest just drives me nuts! By late last night I hit a wall and just had to crash. Luckily there were 3 people here who were dying to take care of Charlie so I could do that. 

Charlie and Meredith in deep discussion

Charlie and Megan - so cute how he's staring at her!

As we've found out the past few nights, this is Charlie's favorite sleeping position. When he is like this, he is most likely in a deep sleep. Is it any wonder we had only limited success with the swaddle? 

He can't stand to not have his little arms by his side. I got him some new cotton (non-fleece) sleep sacks and long sleeve t-shirts instead. It's this constant battle between 'is he too hot?' and 'is he too cold?' But overall, it's been a huge success and he's sleeping at 3 to 4 hour stretches in the night. Unfortunately, the 10-12 hour period that Charlie considers the 'night' right now is 2am until noon or 2pm the next day. I think that should adjust itself out in a couple of weeks when his body starts producing the chemical that helps him determine night from day. Until then we are trying to get him out in the sunshine some. Richmond weather has not been cooperating, though.

If you'd have shown me this picture of my child happily sleeping in his bassinet a week ago, I would not have believed it. His behind touched the cushion and it was automatic screaming. I give my mother full credit. I'm pretty sure it would have been much longer for me to figure out how to make this happen on my own.  That's why I would love to try out the crib while she's here. Charlie listens to his grandmother Crain when it comes to sleeping. She also thinks he is about to outgrow the bassinet because when he stretches his arms out, he hits the sides of the bassinet. He stretches and kicks his arms and legs quite a bit at night - that is actually how he settles himself down to go to sleep. Another reason he hated the swaddle.

It occurred to me a couple of days ago that my mom will not be staying here permanently and will in fact have to go back to Texas this weekend. I'm a little panicky about taking the reigns here again after she goes because things were so rough before she got here. Brad and I were in a desperate state of sleep deprivation and convinced our child would not sleep anywhere but in someone's arms. I have to keep reminding myself that every week gets easier. And he does grow up more every week. Even in the pictures on the blog I posted last week and the ones today I see such a huge difference AND he is now wearing his 0-3 month clothes and not just newborn stuff!! I mean really, at the end of the day, no matter how tired you are, how can you not loooooooove this face????

I will get in a lot of trouble on Spring Break one day.....

5 comments:

Colleen said...

you're hilarious - "i will get in a lot of trouble on sp. break one day". He's going to be a heart-breaker! so sweet.

Keep your chin up - you're going to be able to do when your mom leaves. I know it's scary thinking about it and it WILL be sad to see her go, but you are so good with him and you are right -- he's just getting better as he gets older and older.

as brad told me "he's off to college soon!" ha!
love you and you can always call me if you need me..

Lindsay said...

He really is very cute. Way to go!

Stephanie said...

Adorable. :)

Karen said...

Kara - He is such a cutie! Wow how he's changed, almost a month old:-) Glad to hear he's sleeping well, it will only get better.

Soña said...

These photos are great! He's such a flirt with the camera already. I'm glad you got some rest and time to visit with the family. I have to admit though -- Kara you are scaring the bejesus out of me. So please keep posting so I know how long this part lasts.