Sunday, March 29, 2009

One Month of Charlie

It's hard to believe (for us at least), but Charlie is 1 month old! Well, as of Friday that is. It feels like it's whipped by, but also feels like forever since we brought this little helpless thing home from the hospital in 8 inches of snow. 

Some recent developments:
  • When Charlie cries now, he produces tears. A diaper change is about a 2 tear event. 
  • He's started drooling. I didn't say these were all attractive developments. 
  • He actually liked the bath I gave him tonight and seemed to dig the water. He does not dig being cold and still screamed when I got him out.
  • He is tolerating the stroller more and not throwing a huge fit 10 minutes into a walk.
  • We are on the brink of smiling. I feel like it's really close. His facial expressions seem to mirror his actual emotions. I wish I had my camera today when Brad turned on the vacuum. It startled Charlie and the look was 'what the heck IS that??'. hilarious.
  • He can follow objects with his eyes at varying distances. We used to have to be fairly close to his face for him to follow something.
  • Charlie's parents are not freaking out so much when he cries. We were real spazzes about it when we first got home.
While there is still no real schedule to speak of, there are periods of the day when he is usually awake and a alert and so much fun to be around: late morning and mid-afternoon. Anything after 5pm is hit or miss. He is so darling during these times - staring up at us with big eyes and watching everything. We talk to him a lot and try to entertain him with his mobile, his playmat and stuff like that. 

As for Brad and me, we are both plenty sleep deprived, but so in love with this baby it is ridiculous. It is so much more intense then I could have even imagined. I could just stare at him for hours. I also love feeding him. What an ego trip to be so needed by another human. He reaches his little hand up and holds on to my necklace rather possessively while he eats and my heart melts all over the place. 

Because of Charlie's sleep schedule, we are up late and sleep late. Charlie's 'night' is still 12:30-1am until 10-11am. No matter what we try, we can't seem to adjust it just yet. Keeping him up in the morning when he wants to sleep leads to overtired Charlie for the rest of the day, which means lots of crying. Trying to put him down early means a few hours of half-sleep where we are up every 30 or so minutes to re-soothe him and put him down. I think it will probably change naturally, so we're just going to follow his lead right now.  He is also still in his bassinet, but I think we all agree it's almost time for the crib. 

Brad goes back to work next week and I know it's going to be a hard adjustment for all of us. He is starting his new job with Nameless Financial Consulting Group and the job will require he travel Monday morning to Thursday night each week. It's going to be hard for all of us for him to be gone, but it is a really good opportunity - too good to pass up right now, especially in this crap economy. I keep reminding myself it doesn't have to be forever. Hopefully this job will lead to another one where there is not as much travel. I have to admit, I am a bit jealous he will get 3 full nights of sleep each week. And I am scared about being fully responsible for Charlie - sometimes Brad is the only one who can soothe him and he won't be here to trade off breaks during the day so we can both stay sane. Good-bye sanity, I never knew ya.

So there's the 1 month update! Lots of progress - he changes so much every week. I have this feeling we are right around the corner from it getting a lot easier. Maybe around 6 weeks? I'm not sure why I feel that way, but hopefully I am right! We are also developing plenty of nicknames for Charlie - Baby Bird (he makes a lot of squeaking and squacking sounds), Monster (Brad's name when he's colicky), and Charlie-bear. We love our Charlie-bear and look forward to seeing what his second month brings. =) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to meet Charlie-bear! (Paige)

Colleen said...

ahhh! so sweet. How are you doing with the traveling Brad? I'll call you.