Monday, December 8, 2008

In Memory of Dwayne

I lost a good friend from work today. I met Dwayne when I was interviewing at Capital One and have worked with him on the same team the entire time I was there. He had worked there 13 years and was loved by so many people. We had so much fun together and he always made me laugh. He was the type of person who always had your back, gave you his honest opinion and would do anything to help you out. He was about to move to Dallas for work at the beginning of the year. He had always wanted to live outside of Virginia and have some great adventures, try some new places out. He was anxious about leaving, though. I told him my parents were going to adopt him so he didn't have to be homesick and how he was going to love my dad's barbeque. He has a dog that was like his kid, a black lab named Jager. His whole plan to move was designed around making sure Jager was ok and didn't get too scared with all the changes. Such a wonderful, caring person and too young to lose him. 

I think I must still be in shock because I can't fathom not seeing him anymore. I see him every day. He sits by me and makes fun of me about stuff and we post things on each other's Facebook pages. We go to lunch and happy hour and meetings together.  How can he just quit showing up? I keep thinking as I write this that maybe he isn't really gone and boy is he going to be ticked when he sees his picture on my blog. That would have embarrassed him. 

One thing is for certain - there are a lot of broken hearted people in Virginia tonight. Dwayne, we're all going to miss you terribly, more then you could have ever realized when you were here. Actually more then any of us probably realize yet. I'm grateful for the time I got with you, but just incredibly sad there was not more of it. 

5 comments:

Kristen said...

To say Dwayne Collins was a "great" guy sounds so cliche right now and doesn't even come close to doing him the justice he deserves. He was the kind of person people want to be: free-spirited, but responsible when it counts; smart, but not cocky or condescending. He could command an audience without being an ass. He could make you feel like shit, just so he could be the person to build you back up. That last one might sound like a bad thing, but it was a way for him to challenge you to test your reaction.

He was my teacher, my co-worker, my friend. He was my older brother when I needed him to be, and he was my mortal enemy when I wanted him to be. I will miss him everyday. The last thing I said to him at a work lunch on Friday was "FUCK OFF," and I know that he knows I meant "I love you and I'll see you soon, buddy." That's how our relationship was. I love him and will cherish memories of him always.

Stephanie said...

Kara, I'm so sorry to hear this. He sounds like a wonderful person. I'll be thinking of you and all of his family and friends.

The Celery said...

Well said Kara and Kristen. There is a hole in many hearts tonight because we've lost him, way too soon. I was dreading his move to Texas because I'd miss him so much, but I'd trade Texas now in a heartbeat.

Kim said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend Kara.

peb12345 said...

Kara, I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. He sounds like a very special person.