Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Seafood Lover in Me

So while I have had quite a few symptoms to deal with as part of being pregnant, Brad has to deal with the aftershocks from them. One of them is how weird I am lately about where we go out to dinner.  If it's anywhere I ate at during the period when I was feeling sick, I still can't bear to go there. I wish I had known that because I would have avoided the places I really liked. There's also a lot of places that just don't sound good to me so he usually says 'you pick'. I think I may have cashed in the last of those cards tonight when I gave him the choice between Red Lobster and Cracker Barrel. He chose Red Lobster. 

What an experience. I mean, we're there on a weeknight in Richmond, Virginia in between strip shopping mall centers at this HUGE restaurant and there's a wait. There are no fewer then 5 birthdays being celebrated with halfhearted singing from the waitstaff and Miley Cyrus balloons. I mean, did I miss something? When did Red Lobster become the de facto place to go celebrate your birthday? I would have given it more thought, but my thoughts were drowned out by the teenager at the next table arguing with her mother about her basketball coach over her birthday cake. So I opted to repeat to myself over and over: My child will not be like that.

So back to the restaurant, in full disclosure, I did once spend Valentine's Day at the Red Lobster in Beaumont, Texas with my friend Paige. But Valentine's was on a Tuesday that year and we were in Beaumont to audit this company that made box cars. They had a sign at the entrance that said 'This facility has not experienced a major accident/fatality in ___ days'. And the number scribbled in when we got there was 5. Needless to say we turned down the guided tour we were offered. We did not turn down dessert at Red Lobster, though, but couldn't finish it. So we polished it off for breakfast the next morning at the client. So professional! What a romantic trip. Thanks for an awesome 2001 Valentine's Day Paige!

So anyways, three cheers for Brad, my very patient, wonderful, willing to go to Red Lobster so his pregnant wife can get cheddar biscuits husband. And another three cheers to you if you've made it through this blog post/stream of consciousness

Oh, and BabyCenter says the baby is now the size of an.....

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Um, that sounds disgusting. I'm just sayin'. :)

Stephanie said...

By the way, my comment was in reference to your dining experience, not the baby-as-avacado comparison. :)

Kara said...

LOL - oh i thought you were calling my baby mushy with a hard pit.

well i will just have to keep searching for fellow lovers of the cheddar biscuit since you and brad are such haters!

Kristy said...

umm... hello.. we went to Red Lobster in Minneapolis... and no shout out for me. I am going to take my cheese biscuits and go home... :o)

Carlos said...

I send you this for Brad's sake.

Cheesy biscuit copy cat recipe:

2 cups Bisquick. baking mix
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup cheddar cheese -- shredded
1/4 cup margarine or butter -- melted
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450. Mix bisquick milk and cheese. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 min. or until golden brown. Melt margarine with garlic powder; brush over warm biscuits before removing from cookie sheet. Serve warm. Makes 10-12 biscuits.

Believe me they are delicious and so easy to make. Hopefully I have spared you future visits, however if you do find yourself at the Lobster take some time to play our favorite pastime there by betting on the over/under for guys wearing sleeveless shirts :)

Carlos said...

By the way its Megan not Carlos, I hope you would have known that!