Monday, August 4, 2008

Nursery - Before

When we bought our house we knew it needed a lot of work. We tend to gravitate towards whatever house will bring us the most headaches. But we really loved the floor plan and knew the rest of it could be customized to what we loved.  However, the floor plan came with dark floors, pink walls, beige trim and turquoise accents. 307 trips to Benjamin Moore later, we have something that looks a bit more like us. 

One of the rooms that was particularly offensive was the small room at the end of the hall that we knew we wanted to make a nursery. It has 2 windows and lots of light and overlooks all the pretty trees in the backyard. Unfortunately it also had mint green trim and doors. The mint green covered BLACK trim. Who paints trim black? Yuck. The sellers painted the moldings, doors, closet, windows - everything in mint green.

Here's a 'before' picture - I had pulled the closet doors and bedroom door down because they were also mint green, front and back and had to be painted. So that's what's leaning against the walls.


Months ago when I was on my painting kick, I decided to tackle it, thinking I won't be able to paint when I'm pregnant and bugging Brad to paint (which he hates) didn't sound like much fun either. I'm not even going to go into how much paint I had to get out of my hair to get this room looking presentable. I sanded, I primed, I painted trim and doors and then put a nice soothing creamy yellow on the walls. Suitable for boy or girl. The color is Benjamin Moore's Pale Moon and is a deeper shade of a color I saw in House Beautiful magazine called Man in the Moon. The designer called the color 'the inside of a magnolia blossom' and that sounded quite pleasant indeed. And here it is, though the closet doors are still down and some prints I am going to frame and hang in there are on the floor:

Love the color, love the wood floors, love the light. I'm not really doing a theme, but want the room to feel very soothing with lots of soft colors punctuated with bright accents, like the pictures, a fun lamp, etc. . We have a sweet little rug that is getting cleaned right now. And I've started to look at comfy gliding armchairs to put in there. The one I like at Arhaus they said will take 12 weeks to come and I thought - that's an entire trimester! Hopefully not all the furniture will take that long, but I don't want to take any chances. I love having a new room to decorate!

No comments: