Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Back from New Mexico

I just got back from New Mexico this afternoon where I saw my family and friends and attended my grandfather's memorial service. It was good to see everyone. We got to see my cousin Kim and have lunch with her and see her house, hubby and bunnies. And we drove for 3 hours each way through desolate, barren desert Indian reservations (see above) to get to Farmington for the service and back to Albuquerque for our flight. 

So many wonderful people attended the service and had lots of funny stories about my grandfather. My dad told me a particularly funny one he heard about a work trip in Montana my grandfather took with one of his friends. They got caught in a storm but luckily found a hotel out in the middle of nowhere. However, the only available room was the bridal suite! So they took it and that's where they stayed! Another Grandpa story I love happened the morning after my wedding. Brad and I had our wedding reception in an old hotel (the Melrose) on Oak Lawn in Dallas, but unbeknownst to us, the day after our wedding was a big gay pride parade where a lot of the participants dress in drag. Not a big deal for Dallas, but Farmington has never seen such a thing. When my dad went to pick up Grandpa at the hotel, they rode down the elevator with 3 fully bearded men dressed as Kilgore Rangerettes! My dad said the look of shock on Grandpa's face was priceless. One thing I love about my family is even in hard times, we find a way to laugh. And we did that a lot over the past couple of days.

All in all, it's been a pretty bittersweet couple of months for us - lots of excitement about the baby, but Brad and I both lost our grandfathers this summer. I guess that's the circle of life, but it sure doesn't make it any easier.  

No comments: